Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Considering Upgrading and need some guidance
04-20-20, 07:02 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-20 05:26 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Considering Upgrading and need some guidance
I just recently purchased a 2010 Boston Whaler that is instrumented with Raymarine Electronics. This is the first time I have ever used Raymarine. I believe some of the units are acting a bit flaky and am considering upgrading. I have (2) E140W's, (1) ST70+ Autopilot, RS125 GPS Receiver, CP370 ClearPulse 1KW Sonar Module, SR50/SR100 Sirius Weather, Ray 90 VHF, 48" Open Array HD Radar and a Seatalk Network Switch.

I was planning on waiting till next season to upgrade due to cost but given some of the issues I am thinking about doing some upgrades now starting with the E140W's.

If I replace the E140W with Axiom Pro RVX (16) what components of the existing system will also need to be upgraded due to compatibility?

Thanks,
Jim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-21-20, 08:59 AM
RE: [CA11] Considering Upgrading and need some guidance
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jim,

Q. If I replace the E140W with Axiom Pro RVX (16) what components of the existing system will also need to be upgraded due to compatibility?
A. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing replacement of E-Series Widescreen MFDs with Axiom Pro MFDs. Of the items listed, the currently installed Sirius Satellite Weather / Radio Receiver will need to be replaced with a SR200 SiriusXM Satellite Weather / Radio Receiver. While ST70 autopilot control heads may be updated to be compatible with a system running Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs, the ST70+ autopilot control head may not be compatible and may need to be replaced with a p70S or p70RS autopilot control head. No indication was made of the model of autopilot course computer wiich is installed on the vessel. While it is quite possibly a SPX autopilot course computer this will need to be verified. Should it be determined to be a SPX autopilot course computer, then it would be recommended that it be updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update prior to removing the E-Series Widescreen MFDs. Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs cannot update the software within ST70 products or SPX autopilot course computers. The remaining items may be interfaced to or adapted to be interfaced to Axiom/Axiom Pro/Axiom XL MFDs.
04-21-20, 11:38 AM
Thanks Chuck. Great information. Before I do all of this I would like to try and upgrade the software on all the units. Unfortunately I don't have the docs that tell me how to do it.

Can you point me to the correct docs that show me how to do the software upgrades?

Thanks,
Jim
04-21-20, 01:05 PM
Jim,

Within the generation of equipment which you have, all devices except for the MFD and the device to be updated should be unplugged from the powered and properly terminated backbone when performing the update. Software update instructions may be accessed via the SPX Autopilot Course Computers software update web page.
04-21-20, 03:49 PM
Thanks for all the info. I downloaded the updates and manuals. 2 other questions...
1) Is the an order of device precedence for the upgrades/ i.e. do the MFD first, do the autopilot second and so on?
2) I looked in the manuals and don't see a way to set everything back to factory default. Is there any docs you ae aware of that explain that?

Thanks,
Jim
04-22-20, 08:39 AM
Jim,

Q1. Is the an order of device precedence for the upgrades/ i.e. do the MFD first, do the autopilot second and so on?
A1. If the MFD is not already operating with the latest softwarse, then I would recommend updating the MFD's software first to ensure the best possible support for updating peripherals.

Q2. I looked in the manuals and don't see a way to set everything back to factory default. Is there any docs you ae aware of that explain that?
A2. What device are you trying to reset?