Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] Transducer for wooden yacht
04-28-20, 09:42 PM (This post was last modified: 04-29-20 01:11 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Transducer for wooden yacht
I have a 1958 wooden yacht. What in hull transducer would work with my Axiom 12 MFD? The sight says they are not recommended??
Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-29-20, 01:44 AM
RE: Transducer for wooden yacht
Hello danacaicos,

That's correct, in-hull transducers (sitting in a wet-box/tank inside the hull) will not work in a wooden hull, the timber absorbs too much of the sound energy for reliable operation. In-hull transducers are only suitable for single-skin fibreglass hulls.

For a timber hull you need a bronze through-hull transducer (plastic transducers also aren't suitable in wood because when the timber swells it will crack the transducer.)

There are a range of bronze through-hulls available with different capabilities that are compatible with Axiom 12 RV displays:
The simplest and cheapest option are the CPT-S tilted element depth-only transducers, e.g. part A80446, with adaptor A80490.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply