Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[DG] [DG11] Displaying GPS informaton on VHF Radio
04-29-20, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 04-29-20 09:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[DG11] Displaying GPS informaton on VHF Radio
The boat I purchased recently has a set of ST60’s and an I70 linked together on a Seatalk1 network. Alongside this there is a E95 MFD linked to a Radar and Sona vis the HS connections and an AIS350 connected to the MFD via Seatalkng . The VHF radio is connected to the AIS350 via the NMEA0183 output. However there is no GPS position or time being displayed on the Radio.
The GPS being used by the E95 is the internal MFD GPS.
Would I be correct in thinking that the way to get the VHF radio to display the GPS position from the MFD’s GPS is by using the Seatalkng to NMEA0183 converter, and taking the output from the yellow connector to the VHF Radio’s NMEA0183 input?
The existing connection of the AIS350 to the STng is from a spur from the 5 way connector on the STng backbone. I am assuming I can just replace this 5 way connector for the NMEA0183 converter is that correct?
Thanks for your help.
Find all posts by this user
04-30-20, 07:37 AM
RE: [DG11] Displaying GPS informaton on VHF Radio
Hi Martin,
Thankyou for your enquiry.

Replace the current 5 way connector with the COnverter and this will output position data through NMEA to the vhf from the yellow connection. Please note this converter will only output NMEA position on 0183 and it cannot be used at the same time to connect to the Seatalk instruments.

You could also use the NMEA0183 output from the e95 to supply GPS data direct to the vhf instead of using the converter?

Regards

Derek
04-30-20, 09:14 AM
Hi Derek,
Thanks for your help.
With reference to your "Please note comment". I understand that the yellow output from the converter could only for the NMEA0183 but are you saying that neither of the other two white outputs from the converter could be used to connect the STng spur for my AIS350 unit?

Also I did look to use the output from the MFD but the cabling for the NMEA0183 Has not been extended to below deck where the VHF radio is.
Regards
Martin
05-01-20, 06:23 AM
Hi Martin,

Sorry to confuse you, I meant only that the yellow connector should only be used for NMEA, do not try to connect SeaTalk to it as well. the two white connectors can be used for spur connections to other Stng units.

I hope this helps?

Kind regards

Derek
05-01-20, 06:08 PM
Hi Derek,
Thanks for that clarification and your help on this subject.
Regards
Martin
05-04-20, 07:24 AM
Thanks

You're welcome
Regards
Derek
Thread Closed