Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] Autohelm instruments, SeaTalkng and NMEA 2000
05-05-20, 09:38 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-20 12:00 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Autohelm instruments, SeaTalkng and NMEA 2000
I’m further expanding/developing the instrument network from a previous owner.

I have old Autohelm instruments at the helm. Attached are a couple of photos of some of the instruments.
ST50+ Tridata at the helm acting as a repeater from a ST60 Tridata at the nav station.
I think the wind is an ST50.
We also have an ST6000 Autopilot.

The P.O. installed a Raymarine E85001 interface and a STng converter.

The STng converter has the GPS antenna connected to it, and the STng has a drop cable going to a bus that has wires also coming from the E85001.

From what I can tell trying to follow wires, the E85001 interface is taking existing Seatalk instrument data and converting to 0183 data and this is providing GPS data to the VHF via wires from the bus to the VHF.

I added an STng to NMEA2000 adapter cable (blue) connected to a T to create a drop connection to my Vesper 8000 AIS transponder, so I have 0183 data available to be broadcast over the Vesper’s WiFi.

Running to the helm are 2 data cables:
round 3 pin and round 5 pin (connection to wind transducer?).
When I remove the 5 pin connector from the ST50+ wind, the wind data disappears from the data stream, but I still get depth and boat speed.
I can connect the round 3 pin cable to the AP and it works.

Here’s my dilemma. I want to remove the existing ST50 wind and ST50+ Tridata from the helm. My plan is to run a NMEA2000 backbone to the helm, and upgrade to a modern display for wind/depth/speed, and leave the ST6000 for now.

Is the existing ST50+ acting as a bridge to get wind data onto the 0183/Seatalk network?
How can I get the wind data onto the network without the ST50+?

Can the Seatalkng converter function as a spur/drop from a T on a Maretron N2K backbone using a A06045 SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F) cable?
The STng converter is currently powered. If I connect it this way, do I need to remove the power from the converter and use a power T to the backbone? or can the converter supply the power to the backbone?

Doug
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-20, 01:16 AM
RE: Autohelm instruments, SeaTalkng and NMEA 2000
Hello Doug,

Quote:Is the existing ST50+ acting as a bridge to get wind data onto the 0183/Seatalk network?
How can I get the wind data onto the network without the ST50+?

Yes, ST50 used a round 5-pin connector for analogue wind signals and would convert those analogue signals to Seatalk1 (not NMEA0183.) You can connect the existing Wind masthead unit to either an i60 Wind display or an ITC5 black-box transducer convertor. You would need either an i70/i70S instrument display or an Axiom-series MFD in order to calibrate the ITC5.

Quote:Can the Seatalkng converter function as a spur/drop from a T on a Maretron N2K backbone using a A06045 SeaTalkng Spur to DeviceNet (F) cable?

Yes and no. If I understand correctly what you want to do (a wiring diagram would be good), electrically this will work in the first instance, but would require you to leave the blue Backbone sockets and white Spur sockets empty. The white Spur sockets can be blanked off but by design there are no blanking plugs for backbone sockets available, so you leave two sockets that are open to corrosion from condensation, accidental shorts on the exposed 12V pins or someone adding terminators in later. It's very much against the spirit of how NMEA2000 should be connected and I would advise strongly against it. NMEA2000 networks should always be joined/extended through backbone rather than spur cabling. If you join through a spur connection then it will work on day 1, but problems will develop months or year or two down the line.

Quote:The STng converter is currently powered. If I connect it this way, do I need to remove the power from the converter and use a power T to the backbone? or can the converter supply the power to the backbone?

You need to have only a single power supply for the STNG/NMEA2000 network. This is defined in the NMEA2000 specification and multiple power supplies can cause a range of problems including bypassing fuse protection, electrical noise and component damage. The Seatalk1 network will currently be powered and that will pass through the ST1-STNG convertor, which is fine as long as you don't have another power supply on the STNG side. If you do, you need to either:
  1. remove power from either the ST1 or STNG/NMEA2000 side, or
  2. cut the red wire between one of these networks and the convertor so that power is not passed through from one to the other

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply