Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Poor range with smartcontroller
05-10-20, 11:00 AM (This post was last modified: 05-13-20 02:01 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Poor range with smartcontroller
A few months ago I installed a new EV-100 Wheel Evolution Autopilot and with it a SmartController. Since the installation I have had problems getting the SmartController to stay connected to the base and finally started troubleshooting the issue.

If I hold the remote within a few inches of the base, it connects with full signal, 5 bars. If I move the remote to beyond 3 feet it drops the connection entirely. In the range between, I see no lowering of the signal level, it stays at 5 bars until it drops off completely.

At first I thought maybe the power connection was not solid an re-checked the wiring and all looked good. Inside the base on the connection block, I checked the voltage and it stayed a steady 12.7 volts while moving the remote in and out of the 3 ft range and the connect/disconnect events.

Is there anything else I can try, or is this likely a return for repair issue?

Joe T.
'06 Beneteau 343
Regina del Seni
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-13-20, 02:05 AM
RE: [TG11] Poor range with smartcontroller
Hello joetomberlin,

It's definitely a SmartController, not an S100? We have had a few cases of this recently on S100s, but not on SmartControllers.

Either way: if that's with new/fully charged batteries in the remote, and there's no obstruction between the two, then that sounds like either a high level of background radio interference (this is surprisingly common: I am chasing just such an issue in my home at the moment that's causing very poor Bluetooth and 2.4GHz Wifi performance) or a fault with either the remote or the base station. I would get them checked by your dealer or our own service workshop.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply