Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] 3.11.42 update and no heading error
05-19-20, 09:30 AM (This post was last modified: 05-20-20 11:54 PM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] 3.11.42 update and no heading error
I just upgraded my Axiom Pro to LH 3.11.42 and now I keep getting an error message saying “no heading” despite my mfd showing a heading from my autopilot. I’m not sure if the LH upgrade was the culprit or it’s just a coincidence. Any ideas to fix this error?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-20-20, 11:56 PM
RE: [TG11] 3.11.42 update and no heading error
Hello Wdeertz,

This problem has been reported and is currently under engineering investigation, hopefully the cause can be found and resolved in time for the next software release. It seems to be related to slow heading-data input rates: where is your system's heading data coming from?

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-28-20, 08:35 PM
I’ve tried both my heading info from my AR200 and my autopilot connected through a Seatalk converter.
05-29-20, 02:20 AM
Hello Wdeertz,

We know that you can get the alarm with heading data through a convertor because the Seatalk1 heading data rate is just 2Hz, but I would not expect it with heading from the AR200. I assume this was through a manual Data Source selection: do you still get the same with the autopilot (temporarily) disconnected?

Thanks,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
05-29-20, 04:43 PM
ok I was at the boat this afternoon and had the heading source manually selected for the auto pilot coming from the Seatalk converter. The chart was up for a solid 4 hours with no heading warnings. During this time the heading was consistently showing on the chart overlay +/-1 degree as the boat sway in the slip.

I then manually switched to the AR200 for heading and immediately got a no heading warning. After this initial warning the chart displayed for the next several hours with no further alarms.

I'm not exactly sure what is triggering the no heading alarm but it definitely seems more prevalent while underway.

Any idea when the next LH update is expected that hopefully will address this issue? I had 200+ hours under the prior version with no errors so definitely something buggy in the last update. Is it possible to downgrade the version?
05-31-20, 09:48 PM
Hello Wdeertz,

Quote:I then manually switched to the AR200 for heading and immediately got a no heading warning. After this initial warning the chart displayed for the next several hours with no further alarms.

It's normal to get an alarm when switching data sources as there's a brief period during the change when the software has no source. Not something to be concerned about.

Quote:ok I was at the boat this afternoon and had the heading source manually selected for the auto pilot coming from the Seatalk converter. The chart was up for a solid 4 hours with no heading warnings. During this time the heading was consistently showing on the chart overlay +/-1 degree as the boat sway in the slip.

We have seen that alarms are only generated when heading is changing, but it sounds like either either of your two heading sources manually selected, you see no alarms? We don't recommend downgrading software except under supervision because not all software updates are reversible, so if a manual source selection clears the issue up then I would do that rather than look at downgrading software. In your system a manual heading source selection is probably a good idea anyway as the AR200's heading is so much better-quality (faster update-rate and more accurate) than the pilot's.

If the manual source selection proves not to have resolved the issue, please let me know.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

06-07-20, 06:56 PM
I just did a software upgrade today on two Axiom 12 MFD's and am getting a no heading alarm every 30 seconds. When I acknowledge the alarm it simply comes back. How do I change the heading source or determine what the source is? It is networked with an older ST8002 auto pilot.
06-09-20, 02:18 AM
Hello Glorydays,

The Data Source selection is in Home > Settings > Network > Data Sources > Heading. Can you let me know whether that resolves the issue, and if not, what data source(s) are listed in that menu?

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.

06-15-20, 04:10 PM
Hi Tom,
I finally got back to the boat and checked. A little background; on my original installation the installer connected my ST8002 auto pilot via a NMEA0183 connection and it worked fine. i thought I could utilize the functionality of the pilot screens by configuring a SeaTalk STNG Converter and so changed to that connection, and subsequently found out that I could not utilize the pilot screens.

So to answer your question. When I checked the heading data source the 183 connection was checked, i manually changed it to the Converter source. I am still getting the "no heading alarm", however, i do have a valid heading.

This issue presented after the software update. Should I do a factory reset?

thanks.

Mike
06-16-20, 02:50 AM
Hi Mike,

No, don't do a factory reset.
Since my first post it has come to light that LH3.11 tends to sound this alarm when receiving low-speed (2Hz) heading data. This should be resolved in the coming LH3.12 Dartmouth software release. I would suggest temporarily disconnecting the pilot from the MFD, and then installing LH3.12 as soon as it comes out. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.