Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EV-100 Deviation Change with R17
06-13-16, 04:25 PM
EV-100 Deviation Change with R17
I was able to update my EV-1 course computer after receiving the "timed out" message. I took the boat on a cruise going through all points on the compass and received a message saying something like "magnetic fields were successfully updated" after a few circles. I go to check the deviation and it is now at 38. Before the update I was at a deviation of 12 and was told on this board that anything at or below 14 was good. I did not change the location of any of the components. Should I expect this high deviation to improve over time?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-14-16, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-16 08:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: EV-100 Deviation Change with R17
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum mswanicke,

As indicated on a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software update web page as well as the Evolution autopilots components software update web pages, updating the autopilot's software will require that the autopilot be re-calibrated following the software update. The software update should have no effect upon the maximum deviation sensed by the EV Sensor Core. In the case of your autopilot, it is recommended that the area around the EV Sensor Core be inspected to ensure that not ferrous materials, items featuring magnetic components, high current carrying conductors, etc. are within 3-4 feet of the EV Sensor Core. If not, then is recommended that the autopilot be reset (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->COMMISSIONING->PILOT FACTORY RESET) be performed, that the autopilot's dockside wizard be re-executed, followed by a short trip to permit the autopilot to determine deviation at all headings, and the maximum detected deviation.
06-17-16, 11:30 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-16 09:08 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, mine went from 4 to 14 after the update too.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-19-16, 10:50 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-16 09:06 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I did the factory reset, re-executed the dockside wizard, followed by a short trip as you said, however, that was not sufficient for the autopilot to determine deviation. A compass reset had to performed during the test drive. During the compass reset, an odd message came on the screen "DO_NOT_EDIT___WILL BE FILLED_IN_BY_TRANSLATORS". What's that about? Also, deviation still at 38 after second test drive. No change in component locations from previous software update. Can I reinstall the previous version?
06-20-16, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 06-20-16 12:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
All,

The reported message was an engineering place holder message which has erroneously been left in place and will be corrected within the next Evolution autopilot software update.

It is recommended that you check current version of the EV-1 Sensor Core, ACU, and p70/p70R Autopilot Control Head to ensure that each has been updated with the latest software, as such performance issues may occur if one or more of these components was not successfully updated.

Please note that I have an EV-200 Power Pilot, a system of a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, and, an extensive SeaTalkng network onboard my own vessel ... and that I, as well as the overwhelming number of Evolution autopilot owners, have not experienced the deviation issue reported within this thread. As indicated within the software update web pages for the Evolution autopilot components and a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs, it is necessary re-calibrate the autopilot following installation. As the Evolution autopilots are quite easy to configure, I personally recommend that a Factory Reset be commanded to the autopilot (via the control head), that the Dockside Wizard then be executed, followed by a cruise to establish the sensed deviation be performed. Should the maximum sensed deviation be more then 10 degrees, then it is recommended that the area around the EV-1 Sensor Core be inspected to ensure that:
- no ferrous materials (engine block, tools, tin cans, etc.) are located within 3' of the EV-1 Sensor Core
- no products featuring magnetic components (ex. electric motors, pumps, speakers, etc.) are located within 3' of the EV-1 Sensor Core
- no high current carrying conductors are located within 3' of the EV-1 Sensor Core

Should the EV-1 Sensor Core not be located within 3' of the above listed items and the EV-1 yield a maximum sensed deviation greater than 10 degrees, then it is recommended that the EV-1 be temporarily mounted above decks in a location well away from the items listed above. Should the sensed deviation fall below 10 degrees in the test location, then it is recommended that the EV-1 Sensor Core's prior installation location and the area at least 4' surrounding be inspected for items capable of producing magnetic fields and either relocate any such items or seek another location for the EV-1 Sensor Core. Should the sensed deviation remain high in the test location, then it is recommended that the EV-1 Sensor Core be bench tested/serviced by Raymarine’s Product Repair Center.
06-20-16, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-20-16 03:42 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the recommendations. I will be at the boat later in the week and try relocating the EV-1 sensor.
Other concerns I have are the failure of the clock to set to current time. I adjust the clock to -8 (I assume this is GMT time). The clock adjusts for about 10 seconds and reverts back to GMT.
Another issue seems to be a failure to reset to factory defaults. When I do a factory reset of the p70, I then go through the Dockside wizard and all the selections of hull type, drive type, performance level seem to be the same as I had set previously. Is this normal? Nothing different than I had selected previously.
06-20-16, 03:48 PM
mswanicke,

Q1. Other concerns I have are the failure of the clock to set to current time. I adjust the clock to -8 (I assume this is GMT time). The clock adjusts for about 10 seconds and reverts back to GMT.

A1. It is recommended that you use the MFD's Data Sources feature to specify which source of GPS data will be used by your system and then verify that the Local Time Offset has been configured within the MFD's settings.

Q2. Another issue seems to be a failure to reset to factory defaults. When I do a factory reset of the p70, I then go through the Dockside wizard and all the selections of hull type, drive type, performance level seem to be the same as I had set previously. Is this normal? Nothing different than I had selected previously.

A2. Please note that performing a Factory Reset on a MFD will not reset the autopilot's settings. Should you have commanded the factory reset via the autopilot control head, then it is indeed possible that the default settings may be for your type of vessel.
06-20-16, 04:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-16 08:29 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I performed the factory reset via the p70. I seem to recall that the first time I installed the R17 update I had to select "Wheel Drive" and possibly other settings, can't quite remember, but I know I had to make some selections. Now, everything is as I originally selected. I'm beginning to think I have a corrupt installation since I had to manually update the EV-1 Sensor the first time. Is there a way to verify a factory reset actually occurred?
06-21-16, 08:29 AM
mswanicke,

Executing MENU->SET-UP->FACTORY RESET will only reset the autopilot control head's settings. To reset calibration settings, the command sequence MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->COMMISSIONING->PILOT FACTORY RESET must be executed.
06-27-16, 05:06 PM (This post was last modified: 06-28-16 08:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I did the factory reset as you indicated. Deviation on the new magnetics screen went to 1 degree. However, I look it up on the Diagnostics screen and it shows 39. Which is correct?