Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Can Axiom Pro connect with two WiFi devices at once?
05-22-20, 12:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-27-20 01:26 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Can Axiom Pro connect with two WiFi devices at once?
Last year I purchased an Axiom Pro MFD and a Quantum Radar
I just purchased a Raymarine Ray90/Ais700 Bundle and want to install and connect all these items. Have not installed any yet.

My question is since the MFD can connect to the Radar via WiFi can I install an NMEA2000 WiFi backbone and connect the AIS to the MFD also?

I want to avoid having to drill a [censored] in the boat to run an NMEA2000 cable from the AIS to the MFD at the helm.

Just not sure if the MFD can connect to both the radar and the AIS at the same time via WiFi?

Thanks
marty
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-20, 01:30 AM
RE: [TG11] Can Axiom Pro connect with two WiFi devices at once?
Hello marty,

Bandwidth allowing, the MFD can connect to two Wifi devices at once, but that won't include AIS data. The NMEA2000 specification is for wired connections only: whilst some devices send navigation data over Wifi or Bluetooth, this isn't NMEA2000, it's a proprietary implementation. Your Raymarine MFD will not look for any AIS or other standard navigation data on a Wifi connection, it will only look for it on the standard (wired) NMEA2000 interface because that's all the NMEA2000 standard allows.

Sorry, but you will need to run that cable.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
06-14-20, 10:59 PM
Tom

Thanks for your answer.
The chart plotter is "seeing" the RADAR perfectly via WIFI.
I am about to install the VHF and AIS unit.

My question is do I have to mount the AIS GPS antenna above deck?

I understand it needs to "see" the satellites but I find it hard to believe my plastic deck will reduce that signal very much. Again trying to reduce the number of holes I must drill into my boat.

thanks
marty
06-16-20, 07:52 PM
Hello Marty,

How much attenuation you get through the deck depends on things like the lay-up of the deck and whether it's wet or dry (water attenuates radio signals quite effectively.) The GPS satellites broadcast from something over 30,000km away at around 25W so the power level is extremely low by the time it reaches your antenna: picture being able to see a 25W light from 30,000km away. It doesn't take much to block it, and the receiver needs to be able to see not just straight up through the deck but a number of satellites in different directions in order to be able to accurately triangulate your position: from where you want to mount the antenna, does it have just a thin layer of deck to look through in all directions, not just straight up? GPS antennas should always be mounted with a clear view of the sky.

To know for sure though, I would suggest this: connect everything together with the GPS antenna loose and run the ProAIS PC software. Compare the satellites in view, satellite signal levels and fix HDOP (a measure of accuracy) when the antenna is below-decks and then run it outside into clear air and look again. I suspect you will see a marked difference. If you have a poor signal level and sky-view then you will get a much less-accurate position fix or unreliable position fix, and it will be worst in the worst conditions (rain, heavy cloud cover, wet deck etc.) which is when you most want your AIS to be transmitting *accurate* vessel position information. See here for more information on fix accuracy.

Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
06-16-20, 08:12 PM
Tom

Thanks for your detailed explanation.

And...Upon further review...and your advice.

I am going to make the effort to rail mount the AIS antenna and run the wire down through the stanchions to hide it.

thanks
marty
06-17-20, 12:02 AM
Hi Marty,

I think that's the most sensible thing, if you can.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.