Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TG] [TG11] Axiom 9 with Raypilot 650
06-01-20, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 06-10-20 12:13 AM by Tom - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[TG11] Axiom 9 with Raypilot 650
Hi,
So i have the Raypilot talking to the Axiom via ST1-STNG converter. My questions are

1 - The autopilot under settings on the axiom I can not turn on. Is this only for newer autopilots?
2 - Under network, I dont see the autopilot, only registering the ST converter. Is this normal?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-10-20, 12:16 AM
RE: [TG11] Axiom 9 with Raypilot 650
Hello Unixdood,

Quote:1 - The autopilot under settings on the axiom I can not turn on. Is this only for newer autopilots?

Yes, correct, the Axiom displays can only *control* current Evolution pilots. They can still send waypoint data to older pilots but you need to switch pilot mode through the pilot display.

Quote:2 - Under network, I dont see the autopilot, only registering the ST converter. Is this normal?

Yes, perfectly normal. Since the pilot isn't connected to STNG it doesn't appear in STNG device lists - there's very little in the way of diagnostic messaging supported on the old ST1 network that the pilot uses.

Regards,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
06-11-20, 11:18 AM
Thanks Tom. I am noticing that also I keep getting a seatalk error after about 15 minutes on the 650 and on the Axiom it errors with no heading data. I tried a new ST1 cable and same happens. The backbone seems fine, no errors for the STNG. What could be causing this error where it loses seatalk comms?
06-16-20, 01:57 AM
I'd guess you have a cracked solder joint in one of your Seatalk1 devices (RP650, course computer, anything else?) which is breaking contact from heat expansion after a period of operation, in turn then holding the ST1 bus voltage high or low and preventing other devices from communicating. This was something that ST1 devices before the ST60+ generation were prone to doing (ST60+ and contemporary should 'fail gracefully'.)

To find out which device is causing the problem, disconnect one when everything is cold, power on for 30 minutes or so and see if the network goes down - if not, you've found your device. It might be possible to spot and re-flow the problem solder joint but the problem is probably subtle and microscopic and realistically, it would be better to replace the problem device. Although the RP650 is (one of) the ones showing the symptom, it might or might not be the cause.

Tom

Raymarine since 1999.
Interests: Diagnosis of problems in sonar/fishfinders, NMEA2000, ethernet comms, autopilots, thermal cameras

Please don't PM me asking for direct support, please ask a public question instead so that others can see the question and answer. Forum posts will always be answered before PM requests.
06-16-20, 07:57 AM
Tom thanks for the detailed response. Guess its time to upgrade. Thanks again!
06-16-20, 09:34 PM
No problem,
Tom

Raymarine since 1999.