Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S2/SHS Problem
07-27-16, 11:22 AM
RE: S2/SHS Problem
Based on your recommendation I've purchased an EV-200 to replace my S2. I've started to remove the old equipment and hit the first unexpected issue.

When I unplug the S2 from the existing ST1 network it appears that the GPS and ST8002 are no longer getting power. While I had assumed the E80 Classic would power the ST1 it appears that is not the case. Even though the ST8002 will be removed during this process, the ST1 network still needs to power the GPS and S100.

Looking more closely, it appears the original installer did not connect the red wire from the E80 Classic to the ST1 network.

Q1: Is the S2 in fact the power source in my existing network?

Q2: Once the S2 is removed, can/should the E80 Classic power the network if the red wire from it was connected?

Q3: Is an alternate/better solution to just to use a spare ST1 cable to provide the power (red & grey wires) from a 12V source?

Attached are diagrams more accurately reflecting the state of my current network and my proposed solution.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-27-16, 12:44 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-16 01:41 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
danderer,

Q1: Is the S2 in fact the power source in my existing network?
A2: Within the present system, it appears that the autopilot course computer is indeed the source of power for the SeaTalk bus. SeaTalk instruments, autopilot components, GPS sensors, and chartplotters featuring a 1st generation SeaTalk communications interface which do not additionally feature a SeaTalkng communications interface (ex. ST40/60 Instrument Displays, Wireless AP Controller, Raystar 125 GPS Sensor, etc.) may be interfaced to one another, in any order, using standard SeaTalk Cables. SeaTalk Cables can be joined using D244 SeaTalk Junction Blocks, splices, marine grade terminal strips, or R55006 SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Boxes. SeaTalk Cable is available in 15", 1m, 3m, 5m, and 9m lengths. This method of interfacing is referred to as a SeaTalk bus.

A SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be added as a backbone component to the SeaTalkng backbone. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be used to bridge data from the SeaTalk bus to SeaTalkng as well as to supply power to the SeaTalk bus. The Data Master E-Series Classic MFD will be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus and will instead be interfaced to as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. The SeaTalk bus will in turn be connected to the yellow SeaTalk port of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter may be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone 5-Way Connector or T-Piece via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. The SeaTalk bus will need to be branched or extended and connected to the yellow (SeaTalk) port of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter which has been upgraded with v2.01 or later SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software.

SeaTalkng devices (ex. Data Master E-Series Classic MFD, SPX/Evolution autopilots, ST70/ST70+ MFIDs, ST70/p70/p70R Autopilot Control Heads, i50/i60/i70 Instrument Displays, etc.) will in turn each be interfaced to the white SeaTalkng spur sockets within the SeaTalkng T-Pieces, 5-Way Connectors, or SeaTalkng Converter networking components of the SeaTalkng backbone using appropriate lengths of SeaTalkng Spur Cable. Additional SeaTalk spur ports may be created within the backbone by connecting additional SeaTalkng 5-Way Connectors and/or SeaTalkng T-Pieces to the SeaTalkng backbone / SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter(s) using appropriate lengths of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable. Up to three devices having a SeaTalkng communications interface may be daisy chained to one another using SeaTalkng Spur Cable to create a single spur having a maximum total length of no more than 5m. Daisy chaining SeaTalkng devices rather than connecting each SeaTalkng device individually to the backbone has the advantage of reducing the amount of cable which may otherwise need be chased throughout the boat.

The SeaTalk bus will be to be disconnected from its present power source ... in your system's case, this was the S2 autopilot course computer's SeaTalk ports. As a best practice, the SeaTalk bus will instead be powered via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The SeaTalkng power cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit will be connected to a switched 5A 12VDC power circuit and will be interfaced to the other white SeaTalkng spur ports of a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter at the approximate midpoint of the LEN load of the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone which is being created.

Finally, the blue SeaTalkng Termination Plugs will need to be installed within in the remaining two blue SeaTalkng backbone ports of the SeaTalkng backbone.

Q2: Once the S2 is removed, can/should the E80 Classic power the network if the red wire from it was connected?
A2: Negative. See the response to Q1.

Q3: Is an alternate/better solution to just to use a spare ST1 cable to provide the power (red & grey wires) from a 12V source?
A3: Negative. See the response to Q1 addressing how the devices having a SeaTalk communications interface and no SeaTalkng communications interface (i.e. your system's GPS sensor and wireless autopilot base station) should be interfaced to the system via a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
07-27-16, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply but I'm confused here. In response 10 you indicated my design, including connecting the ST1 to the master E80 Classic, was correct.

Your latest response seems to say that was wrong: that I need to disconnect the ST1 from the E80 and buy a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

Q1: Has something changed to invalidate my initial design?

Q2: Is buying the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter the only solution, or just a best practice?

Q3: Are there other solutions short of buying this additional equipment that "may" work, subject to testing?
07-27-16, 01:40 PM
Q1: Has something changed to invalidate my initial design?
A2: You earlier diagram did not include the wireless autopilot controller's base station. Unlike the software of the E-Series Classic MFDs, the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's software has continued to be updated, making it the most complete and effective device for bridging data, especially that from autopilot products, from SeaTalk to SeaTalkng. Accordingly, the E-Series Classic MFD would be treated as a device having only a SeaTalkng port rather than both a SeaTalk and SeaTalkng port. Hence, the it was directed that the MFD be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus.

Q2: Is buying the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter the only solution, or just a best practice?
A1: See the response to Q1.

Q3: Are there other solutions short of buying this additional equipment that "may" work, subject to testing?
A3: While other methods, such as that you have suggested, may support most functions, they are not supported, as they are incomplete solutions. The correct method of interfacing these products is as has been covered within these last two responses.
07-27-16, 01:53 PM
Q1: Am I correct in believing that powering the ST1 network from the E80 (as in my initial design) will work (with the exception of the wireless base station) until I can acquire a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter?
07-27-16, 02:35 PM
danderer,

The SeaTalk port or an E-Series Classic MFD provides very limited power output. Should the SeaTalk bus feature any devices other than a GPS sensor having a SeaTalkng communications interface, then it would not be recommended that the MFD's SeaTalk port supply power to the SeaTalk bus. In the case of the latter, it would be recommended that the SeaTalk bus be powered from a switched 12VDC power circuit.
07-27-16, 02:45 PM
Thanks.
07-27-16, 04:22 PM
You're welcome.