Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SHD Power on problems
06-20-16, 09:28 PM
SHD Power on problems
I have a SHD radar unit that seems to have problems powering on sometimes. If 12v power is lost and then restored the radar unit fails to power on about half the time. When this happens the VCM100 will audibly click, the standby light goes out momentarily, the green on LED lights momentarily and then the green led is extinguished and the yellow standby is illuminated again. Sometimes I can resolve this by turning the power off and then back on. Other times I can only restore functionality by disconnecting the cable from the back of the radar pedestal and reconnecting it. Once the unit powers on it works flawlessly until power is lost again.

Does this point towards a fault with the VCM?

Thanks
Ben
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-16, 02:30 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-16 02:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: SHD Power on problems
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ben,

Within the statement "Sometimes I can resolve this by turning the power off and then back on." are you referring to the ON/OFF switch on the back side of the pedestal or are you referring to a switch that has been installed in the circuit suppygin power to the VCM?
06-22-16, 01:12 PM
Sorry, should have explained better, I am toggling power by interrupting the power coming into the VCM via a switch.

Thanks
Ben
06-24-16, 08:00 AM
Ben,

Our repair team strongly believes that the problem may be rooted in a failure within the SHS pedestal's communications circuitry rather than the VCM. It is recommended that the pedestal's core be removed and sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench tested / serviced. The repair team recommended sending in the VCM as well.
06-27-16, 02:15 PM
Thanks Chuck,

I'll do that. When you say to send in the pedestal's core I gather that means that I remove some portion of the radar assembly from the casing? I'm hoping so as shipping the entire pedestal would be difficult. If so, how much of the pedestal am I removing? Is there a document somewhere that covers what to send and what not to send?

Thanks
Ben
06-28-16, 07:53 AM
Ben,

It is indeed possible to remove the core from the radar pedestal to more easily facilitate shipping. The SHD core looks very similar to this:

[Image: image_1_large]