Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No autopilot after R17 update
06-21-16, 09:44 AM
No autopilot after R17 update
Did the full software update, realizing that a recommissioning of the autopilot would be required. Now when i try to go through the commissioning steps I get an error saying "no drive detected", and am stopped cold. Same thing if i try to engage the pilot. A component scan does not show the ACU-300 on the system. Have tried powering on and off. Have had no issues prior. Any other suggestions?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-21-16, 09:53 AM
RE: No autopilot after R17 update
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Night Heron,

Unlike other Evolution autopilots, commissioning of the ACU-300 Actuator Control Unit or an EV-2 Sensor Core requires that the engines be switched on and that the engines be running during commissioning.
06-22-16, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 06-22-16 09:21 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks. I did not know that, but did have the engines on to power the hydraulics. So unfortunately, there must be another issue.
06-22-16, 09:54 AM
Night Heron,

Please verify that you have performed a Pilot Factory Reset and then attempted to re-commission the autopilot. To reset calibration settings, the command sequence MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->COMMISSIONING->PILOT FACTORY RESET must be executed.

Should the problem persist, then please attach the system's diagnostics file. Should an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD be powered ON and the Limitations of Use dialog have already been acknowledged, then the requested diagnostics file may be generated via the following command sequence on the Data Master MFD: HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DIAGNOSTICS->SELECT DEVICE; SHOW ALL DATA->SAVE THIS DATA. The resulting Diagnostics...html file should then be attached your response to this thread.
06-23-16, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 06-23-16 02:23 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

I did the reset and then when I followed the dockside wizard set up i got the following error: "Task Fail - inconsistent values". I repeated the process several times with the same result, each time positioning the rudders carefully as prompted with no luck. I ran the diagnostic and the files are attached. Also, i was not able to shutdown the controller, presumably because it was doing the magnetic filed check. Thanks
06-23-16, 03:37 PM
Night Heron,

The Diagnostics...html file indicated that you have a very large network of third party NMEA 2000 products. Missing from this diagnostics file is any reference to the autopilot's ACU. This can occur if the software of the ACU was not successfully updated. It is correspondingly recommended that you attempt to reinstall the Evolution ACU's software, reset the autopilot, perform the Dockside Wizard and compass linearization cruise again.
06-23-16, 03:58 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-16 04:14 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
So I just run the R17 update bundle as before and it will find the acu-300?
06-23-16, 04:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-16 04:15 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Yes ... as long as the power circuit supplying power to the ACU300 is energized.
06-25-16, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 06-27-16 10:36 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Attempted to update the ACU300, but it did not show up as an available device to be updated. Went ahead and updated the EV1 hoping that would make a difference. Of course it did not. Still getting the task fail error when i try to commission the pilot, and when i run the diagnostic - no sign of the ACU300. Checked the breaker to the drive, and it has power. Also, i did the whole process with the engines running, hoping that would help.

Is it possible that the device got fried in the update process? I think i will need to get a dealer to troubleshoot from here
06-27-16, 10:38 AM
Night Heron,

Before giving up on the ACU, it is recommended that the equipment be powered OFF, that all devices except for the ACU and the MFD be unplugged from the powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone, and that the update then be attempted again. Should the ACU fail to update again, then it is recommended that it be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked/updated.