Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ICOM M506 AIS
08-23-16, 05:00 PM
ICOM M506 AIS
Hello, I have an Icom M506 VHF radio with AIS attached to my network via NMEA-2000. The radio picks up GPS signal from the network, displays AIS on the radio display but I can't get it to display on my Raymarine A128 MFD. Can you let me know what settings I need to adjust on my MFD in order to get a display.
thanks,
Gary
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-24-16, 10:00 AM
RE: ICOM M506 AIS
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Gary,

Raymarine's a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs are designed to utilize AIS data from NMEA 0183 and SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data sources. To view AIS target data within the Chart application page/pane being viewed:
- the MFD must be receiving a GPS position FIX from either its internal GPS sensor or from an external GPS source
- the AIS layer (MENU->PRESENTATION->OVERLAYS->AIS) must be configured ON within the Chart application page/pane being viewed.
- should one additional desire to have Radar application pages/panes plot AIS targets, then the MFD must additionally be interfaced to a source of Heading data (not to be confused with GPS COG data) and the Display AIS setting (MENU->AIS->DISPLAY AIS) setting must be configured ON within the Radar application page/pane being viewed.
02-12-17, 09:15 AM
Which Raymarine STNG cable did you use to connect to the back of the IC-506? What is the gender of the connector on the back of the IC-M506?

Shortly I will be upgrading my radio to an ICOM M506-11 (NMEA 2000 and NO AIS) to connect to my STNG system. I do already have a Raymarine AIS650 (AIS transceiver already connected).
02-13-17, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-17 01:25 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum roriol,

As the manual for the 506 indicated that it may or may not have a NMEA 2000 communications interface, it is recommended that ICOM America's Support Team be contacted to determine whether you IC-506 features a NMEA 2000 communications port, whether the port features a DeviceNet Micro-C plug/socket, and to specify the gender of its NMEA 2000 plug/socket. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to interface third party devices having a NMEA 2000 communications interface to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone which has been constructed from SeaTalkng networking components.