Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Fusion RA 205 interfacing to multiple MFDs connected via HS5
09-08-16, 04:03 PM
Fusion RA 205 interfacing to multiple MFDs connected via HS5
I have 2 c95s connected to sounder and radar via HS5 switch. I also have the seatalk converter kit to connect to my legacy autopilot. I have read your article on interfacing the RA205 using seatalk backbone (http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=465) but my situation is a bit different as I have the multiple MFDs with switch. Can you provide some guidance as to what I would need?

Ovi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-16, 03:14 PM
RE: Fusion RA 205 interfacing to multiple MFDs connected via HS5
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ovi,

Unlike Fusion's 700 Series and 750 Series stereo head units (these feature Ethernet communications interfaces), it is not possible to interface the RA205 (feature a NMEA 2000 communications interface to the Raymarine system's Ethernet switch. Instead, the SeaTalkng backbone which is formed by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter must be extended to include another SeaTalkng spur socket, which in turn will be used to interface the RA205 as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. To learn more about SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 networking, click here.
02-26-17, 08:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-17 09:09 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
It has been a while since my last post and I have finally installed the stereo (RA205). Before I go ahead and order the items in your link, is there a way to connect directly from my HS5 hub to the stereo using the SeaTalkng to DeviceNet (F) Adapter or is the 5 way connector still required if I have the HS5?
02-27-17, 09:13 AM
Ovi,

Q: Before I go ahead and order the items in your link, is there a way to connect directly from my HS5 hub to the stereo using the SeaTalkng to DeviceNet (F) Adapter or is the 5 way connector still required if I have the HS5?
A: It is not possible to do as you have suggested. Unlike the Fusion 700/750 Series stereo head units, the RA 205 does not feature and Ethernet communications interface and accordingly cannot be adapted to be mated to one of the system's Ethernet switches. The RA 205 must be interfaced as a spur to the system's SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone as had been indicated within the previously referenced FAQ.
02-27-17, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-17 12:09 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you Chuck. One last question: Do they make a SeaTalkng to DeviceNet (F) Adapter that is longer than 1m? My screens are about 6 feet away from the radio.

Ovi
02-27-17, 12:08 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-17 12:09 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ovi,

Q. Do they make a SeaTalkng to DeviceNet (F) Adapter that is longer than 1m? My screens are about 6 feet away from the radio.
A. Negative. As such, the SeaTalkng backbone will need to be extended to provide a spur socket which will be within 1m of the RA 205.
02-27-17, 01:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-17 01:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Can I use an extension cable like the Fusion 6 Mtr 19-8-1/4 Ft NMEA 2000 Extension Cable?

https://www.fusionentertainment.com/mari...-000853-06
02-27-17, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-17 01:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ovi,

The total length of a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 Spur must be less than 6 m ... be certain to include any length of NMEA 2000 cable which is hard wired to the Fusion Stereo head unit and the length of the SeaTalk to NMEA 2000 Spur Adapter. Should you obtain a third party NMEA 2000 cable having the appropriate gender of DeviceNet Micro-C plugs on each end which would permit the total spur length to be no more than 6m, then it may indeed be used.
02-27-17, 04:49 PM
Chuck,

Attached is my best recollection of the current network along with my proposed changes to incorporate the RA205. Would you mind looking it over for me?

I have ordered the parts and plan to do the installation this weekend.

Ovi
02-27-17, 05:41 PM
Ovi,

The diagram does not appear correct and also appears to be missing items (i.e. the model autopilot course computer installed, how the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter is being powered (the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter should not be powered by the autopilot course computer). Additionally, the following items should be added:
- the SeaTalkng 5-Way Junction Block must be connected to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter by an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable
- the SeaTalkng backbone should be properly terminated (i.e. one SeaTalkng Termination plug in the remaining blue backbone socket of the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector and SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter
- a SeaTalkng Power Cable must be interfaced to one of the spur sockets within the backbone created by the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector and SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter
- the unpowered Fusion spur cable called out within the previously referenced FAQ must be used along with the Fusion RA 205.