Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Autopilot Standby and Auto buttons blinking
09-20-16, 09:56 AM
Autopilot Standby and Auto buttons blinking
When powering up my instruments my ST6000AP had blinking standby and auto buttons and a constant beeping. The display did not show anything. My setup is an A128 MFD connected to STNG and ST60 wind ST60 multi and ST6000AP (on S1 course computer).
This has been working flawlessly since I installed the A128 about 20 months ago. The troubleshooting guide shows nothing regarding the blinking. I assume since the buttons are blinking and there is a beep that the power is reaching the ST6000. The odd thing is, when I set a mark on the MFD and GOTO that mark the AP works as it should.
Any ideas?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-16, 04:02 PM
RE: Autopilot Standby and Auto buttons blinking
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum firstlight38,

The reported problem may be indicative of an under-powered SeaTalk bus or an autopilot control head which is in the initial stages of failure. It is recommended that you verify each SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter has been interfaced to and is powering a SeaTalk bus no more than five SeaTalk devices (ex. ST6000, ST60 Wind, etc.). If not, then it is recommended that the vessel be connected to shore power, that it batteries be permitted to be fully charged, and then while still connected to shore power that you attempt to duplicate the problem. Should the problem persist, then is it recommended that the ST6000 and ST-STng Converter to which it has been interfaced be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
09-21-16, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-16 12:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, thanks. It does persist on shore power or on the house battery bank. Like I mentioned before, nothing has been added since the STNG / A128 two years ago and all has always been working fine and it still works when controlled by the a128. If not able to fix at the repair shop is there any option to replace the head with drive and s1 staying put or is it a complete replace?
09-21-16, 12:21 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-16 12:51 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, I went to the product repair center link and it says they do not accept items for repair that are over 10 years after last manufacture. Is this the case for my ST6000?
09-21-16, 12:54 PM
As you have indicated, the Product Repair Center can no longer service ST6000 Autopilot Control Heads and any service performed would be limited to bench testing. A faulty ST6000 Autopilot Control Head may be replaced with a p70 Autopilot Control Head.
09-22-16, 12:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-16 12:40 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck. I am assuming since the ST60wind/St60tridata/ST6000 were all wired seatalk to S1 and STNG then the P70 would just connect to the STNG and its commands would be transmitted through the STNG Back to the S1?
09-22-16, 12:49 PM
firstlight38,

The p70/p70R Autopilot Control Heads are designed to support SeaTalk or SeaTalkng communications, but not both simultaneously. Raymarine offers the A22164 Adapter cable to permit the p70/p70R Autopilot Heads and i50/i60 instruments to be interfaced to a SeaTalk bus rather than a SeaTalkng backbone. It is recommended that the p70/p70R be installed as a SeaTalk device (i.e. connect it to the SeaTalk bus) when used autopilot course computers lacking a SeaTalkng communications port.
09-22-16, 01:39 PM
(09-22-16 12:49 PM)Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  firstlight38,

The p70/p70R Autopilot Control Heads are designed to support SeaTalk or SeaTalkng communications, but not both simultaneously. Raymarine offers the A22164 Adapter cable to permit the p70/p70R Autopilot Heads and i50/i60 instruments to be interfaced to a SeaTalk bus rather than a SeaTalkng backbone. It is recommended that the p70/p70R be installed as a SeaTalk device (i.e. connect it to the SeaTalk bus) when used autopilot course computers lacking a SeaTalkng communications port.

Thanks again and again.
Seems as though it will duplicate the wiring per my exisitng setup. I have that cable connecting my seatalk1 to STNG E22158 right now (yellow end) so that my a128 can communicate with the instruments.
09-22-16, 01:50 PM
firstlight38,

My prior response had assumed that an autopilot course computer lacking a SeaTalkng communications interface had been installed. In looking back at the information which you have supplied thus far, it appears that you have not specified the model of autopilot course computer which has been installed. In short, should the autopilot course computer have a SeaTalkng communications interface, then both the autopilot course computer and p70/p70R autopilot control head should each be interfaced as spurs to the SeaTalkng backbone. However, should autopilot course computer not feature a SeaTalkng communications interface, then both the autopilot course computer and p70/p70R autopilot control head should each be interfaced to SeaTalk bus.
09-22-16, 02:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-22-16 02:51 PM by firstlight38.)
I have an S1 Smartpilot. it is Seatalk1 as are my other instruments ST60 wind and ST60 tridata (and ST6000). This is why I had to add the STNG converter E22158 when I added the a128 mfd.