Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interface Wireless Instgruments with Seatalk
10-27-16, 12:33 PM
Interface Wireless Instgruments with Seatalk
Several years ago I assembled a system on my sailboat which included a provision which allowed me to connect my wireless wind instrument to the Seatalk ng network. It involved an interface to a wireless interface box that output to an NMEA 0183 connection. The NMEA output went to a non-Raymarine 0183 dongle which output Seatalk ng. Is that still the workaround?

I have a new boat and would like a similar setup.

Mark
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-27-16, 02:01 PM
RE: Interface Wireless Instgruments with Seatalk
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Mark,

The most common method of achieving the end which you have specified (i.e. bridging NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng) and continues to be via an Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA200 Data Bridge.
11-03-16, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-16 01:48 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks, Chuck
11-03-16, 01:48 PM
You're welcome.
11-08-16, 01:13 PM
RE: Interface Wireless Instruments with Seatalk
Building on the thread, it has now popped into my mind about the possibility of using the wireless wind sensor, the wireless system NMEA0183-Seatalk HS interface interface with only an i70s as the display (and water depth and boat speed transducers) for that data. And using retractable speed and depth transducers onto the Seatalk HS bus. Is that workable?

Thanks.

Mark
11-09-16, 03:24 PM
Mark,

While it would be possible to bridge the NMEA 0183 data from such instrument transducer to SeaTalkng, the same would not be true regarding the possibility of bridging NMEA 0183 to Ethernet (SeaTalkHS). Please note that Raymarine MFDs and MFIDs are not designed to calibrate wind, depth, speed, temperature data, nor support alarms and offsets in conjunction with NMEA 0183 and third party NMEA 2000 wind, depth, speed, and temperature instrument transducers.
11-10-16, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 11-10-16 12:02 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks, Chuck.

Soon after I clicked send, it occurred to me that I had mistakenly referred to SeaTalkHS when I meant ng. I believe I could calibrate the wind sensor from the i70s. Is that correct?

Mark
11-10-16, 12:05 PM
Mark,

The i70 MFIDs only support calibration of Raymarine analog Wind Transducers which in turn have been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone via an iTC-5 Analog Instrument Converter.
11-15-16, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-16 10:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Aha! Thanks. So to calibrate the wireless wind transducer, I must use the associated display.

Another question - the system I envision has a depth transducer and a separate speed transducer providing their output to an iTC-5, and the iTC-5 putting that data on the SeaTalk bus where it would be displayed on an i70s and an A75 MFD. The wind info from the wireless transducer would go onto the Seatalk bus via the pieces we talked about in the previous discussion. The wind system display would have its display on board, but only used to calibrate the transducer and switch between true and apparent wind. Does that work?

Mark
11-15-16, 11:07 AM
Mark,

As the Tacktick NMEA 0183 communications interface is designed to re-transmit data which has been received via its NMEA 0183 Input port, care must be taken to ensure that data transmitted by the Tacktick system to the SeaTalkng backbone is limited to NMEA 2000 PGNs supporting wind data only. This is accomplished via a programmable NMEA 0183 data bridge (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO-STNG). Failure to do so will result in NMEA 0183 data loop, which will adversely affect the performance of the system.