Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Course Computers and Smart Heading System
02-25-16, 03:54 PM
Course Computers and Smart Heading System
Hi Folks,

I currently have the GyroPlus 2 SHS and Fluxgate installed, no autopilot. I have an opportunity to get my hands on a 150g Course Computer and am considering picking it up but I have a couple questions.

1. As I review the 150g manual, do I understand correctly that with the "g" series course computers there is no need for the GyroPlus unit?

2. I'm not clear on the continued need for the FluxGate with the addition of the course computer. Is that still needed with the "g" series course computer?

I guess I have a third question.

Obviously with the addition of the course computer an autopilot would be in the works however, until I get the control head, pump, etc. can the 150g work without them and still provide the same functionality of the SHS?

Thanks in advance for your input.
Paul
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-16, 09:33 AM
RE: Course Computers and Smart Heading System
You are correct in your assumption. With a Type 150G course computer the need for the Gyro Plus II is no longer needed and will need to be removed from the system, because there can not be two gyro compasses in there type of system.

The Type 150G is a course computer in the autopilot system, that is only one part of the autopilot you would need the course computer, a control head and a drive. To specify the drive, I would need the type of boat and steering system of the vessel.

Another thing to consider, the Type 150G is no longer repairable, it is a discontinued course computer and there a no longer parts available.
02-26-16, 09:37 AM
Paul,

Q1. As I review the 150g manual, do I understand correctly that with the "g" series course computers there is no need for the GyroPlus unit?
A1. You are correct in that that there would be no need for a GyroPlus / Pathfinder Smart Heading system should an autopilot course computer featuring a gyro (ex. 150G/400G, S1G, S2G, S3G). The gyro within these course computers only support the autopilot's Auto-Learn feature, but also supports its ability to transmit gyro stabilized heading data via the course computer's NMEA 0183 Port OUT1 port.

Q2. I'm not clear on the continued need for the FluxGate with the addition of the course computer. Is that still needed with the "g" series course computer?
A2. Should a gyro assisted autopilot course computer be installed onboard the boat, then the system should not additionally include a GyroPlus / Pathfinder Smart Heading System. The last MFD design to feature support for linearization and calibration of the GyroPlus / Pathfinder Smart Heading System was the E-Series Widescreen MFDs.
02-26-16, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the additional information gentlemen.

I know the 150g are older/obsolete but my entire system is older as well. e.g. E120/E80 Classic, etc. Getting the appropriate adapters to integrate the newer equipment into my older system is obviously the better way to go in general. In this instance the cost of the 150g that is available to me is minimal so if it's possible to add it to my existing system and have it serve the same function as the SHS until I add the control head and pump later on then to me its a viable option to consider.

That said, my third question - can the course computer be swapped in to take the place of the Gyroplus and Fluxgate and provide the same functionality as the SHS UNTIL the control head and pump is added or must they all be added as a system? Course computer, control head, and pump. I wasn't clear in either or your responses if that question had been addressed or not.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Paul
02-26-16, 01:40 PM
Paul,

Q1. Can the course computer be swapped in to take the place of the Gyroplus and Fluxgate and provide the same functionality as the SHS UNTIL the control head and pump is added or must they all be added as a system? Course computer, control head, and pump. I wasn't clear in either or your responses if that question had been addressed or not.

A1. No. While the currently installed fluxgate may be retained for use with 150G, you will need a compatible autopilot control head to determine deviation and to perform compass alignment.
02-26-16, 06:11 PM
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the additional information. This will be helpful in helping me decide next steps.
03-01-16, 06:02 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-16 02:11 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Steve,

I have a 1990 Bayliner 3288 with diesel engines and hydraulic steering.
03-02-16, 02:16 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-16 02:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Paul,

In hydraulically steered boats, the model of autopilot course computer or ACU is determined by the hydraulic pump, which in turn is determined by:
- the number of hydraulic steering rams
- the cubic capacity (in cc's or cu. in.)
- if the hydraulic steering system features more than one ram, are the rams installed in series or parallel?

If supplied with the information specified above, then it will be possible to specify the correct autopilot components for your boat.
03-02-16, 04:11 PM
Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the additional information. The steering has a single ram although I am not sure on the fluid capacity. I'll have to look for a data plate or take some measurements to make an estimate. I won't be able to make it up to the boat until the weekend after next to get that information.
03-02-16, 05:27 PM
Paul,

You're welcome. Simply create a new response to this thread when you have obtained the requested steering system information.