Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Adding a RAY70 AIS VHF
01-17-17, 12:32 PM
Adding a RAY70 AIS VHF
Hi
I have a multifonctions display E90w ( gps ploter , radar, sounder). I want to replace my RAY 281E with a VHF RAY70 with integrated gps and AIS receiver.
My question: Will I be able to connect the VHF and the multifonctions display together with "seatalk" cable already with plug at each end. If yes could you tell me the part # of this cable and also where exactly to plug it on the back of the display unit.
Thank you for your help.
Michel Bernier
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-17-17, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-17 01:55 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Adding a RAY70 AIS VHF
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Michelle,

Both the Ray70 and E-Series Widescreen MFDs each feature a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface (SeaTalkng spur socket). The SeaTalkng socket of these products is designed to permit these products to be each interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone to permit them to communicate with one another as well as with other devices which have been or will be interfaced to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. To learn more about SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications click here.

Alternatively, the Power/Data/Video Input Cable of the E-Series Widescreen MFD and the cable harness of the Ray70 each feature NMEA 0183 leads may be used to interface these products to one another.
01-25-17, 04:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-17 04:49 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi again
I have E90w display interfaced with a radar, GPS and sounder with the help of a seatalk HD using rg45 cable.
Now I installed a VHF70 with GPS and AIS integrated. I want to interface it with my display as I can see the ships detected by the AIS. People at West Marine sold me a backbone (5) with two terminators, one power cable and two spur cables one between the backbone and the display and one between the backbone and the VHF.
Reading a lot on the web about this kind of installation there was one warning about power cable telling DO NOT put power cable if there is already power in the system. My question is should I put the power cable even if I already have a seatalk HD which I think is different from the std seatalk.
Thank for your help
01-25-17, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-17 04:58 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Festinalente,

The terminology regarding how you have interfaced the "E90w display ... with a radar, GPS and sounder with the help of a seatalk HD using rg45 cable" is not correct. Raymarine has produced no products using the "SeaTalk HD". The E90W would have been interfaced to the radome or open array pedestal via Ethernet communications. The GPS sensor (make/model not specified) most certainly would have not been interfaced to the MFD via Ethernet communications. Depending upon the make/mode of sounder installed onboard (these have not been specified), it may or may not have been interfaced to the MFD via Ethernet communications.

Should there not presently be a SeaTalkng backbone installed onboard, then it will be necessary to install the SeaTalkng Power Cable which had been supplied, as neither the MFD nor the Ray70 are designed to supply power to a SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone.
01-26-17, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 01-26-17 01:00 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you very much your help and patience. Sorry I din't give you all the informatio regarding the équipements already interconnected. The sounder is a DSM300 digital, the radar is E92130 18" digital radôme. For the GPS I don't know. My boat is à Mainship 31 Pilot 2009 and all the electronics was installed at the manufacture. I include couple of pictures.
01-26-17, 01:21 PM
Festinalente,

The picture shown within your photo is that of a DSM300 and a SeaTalkhs Network Switch. The E90W and DSM300 are each designed to be interfaced to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch via an appropriate length of SeaTalkhs (M) to RJ45 (M) Cable. The Digital Radar Cable shown also features a RJ45 (M) Plug, permitting it to be interfaced to the SeaTalkhs Network Switch. During the period that these products had been offered the Raystar 125 GPS Sensor was the most commonly sold GPS sensor and it was designed to be interfaced to your MFD via either SeaTalkn (not SeaTalkng) or NMEA 0183 communications protocol.

Of the equipment which you have listed, none of these items feature a SeaTalkng communications interface. The easiest way to determine whether the MFD is currently interfaced to a SeaTalkng backbone is to examine the SeaTalkng spur socket of the communications panel on MFD's back side. Should nothing be presently interfaced to it, then the MFD has not been interfaced to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone and you should accordingly have no concerns about using the SeaTalkng Backbone Cable supplied with the SeaTalkng Backbone Kit.