Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
E120/SeaRay Navigator Upgrade ?
01-18-17, 09:37 PM
E120/SeaRay Navigator Upgrade ?
I'm upgrading a SeaRay Navigator and an E120 system to an eS127 and an eS128 setup:

1) It was recommended to install one of each to have both sounders onboard. Please confirm?
2) A new HD Color Radome will terminate directly into one of the eS MFDs. No issues.
3) I'll use a SeaTalk 3-way junction to connect my existing Ray240 into the MFDs using the NG converter kit and spur to an eS for connectivity. Any issues?
4) I'll use the same 3-way junction to connect my existing SmartPilot S2G. Any issues?
5) I'll add the SA150 GPS antenna directly to an eS. No issue.
6) I'll add a CAM220 directly into an eS. No issue.
7) Assuming I can use the E66066 adapter for the existing DSM300's transducer for a direct connection to one of the new eS MFDs does it matter which MFD (the 127 or the 128) it connects to?
8) There's also an existing AIS500 on board. How would that connect?
9) there's also an SR100. Looks like another simple STHS connection.
10) Regarding all of these MFD connections (radome, NG backbone, GPS antenna, IP camera, transducer, etc) do they all need to connect to one "master" MFD where the 2nd is a "slave" or could connections run to each for all of the system data to be shared back and forth? Adding the AIS and/or SR100 will overflow to the second MFD and/or require a switch. What is best?

Thanks,
Ryan
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-19-17, 10:47 AM (This post was last modified: 02-17-17 10:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: E120/SeaRay Navigator Upgrade ?
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ryan,

Q1) It was recommended to install one of each to have both sounders onboard. Please confirm?
A1) Please see your other post regarding use of the currently installed DSM30/300 compatible transducer to support 50kHz/200kHz fishfinder sonar imaging by either MFD within the system. While it may have been recommended to have an eSx8 as well as an eSx7 MFD onboard, it would be necessary to interface the eSx8 MFD to a compatible CHIRP/DownVision transducer to display CHIRP (conical) fishfinder sonar imaging and DownVision fishfinder sonar imaging within the system.

Q2) A new HD Color Radome will terminate directly into one of the eS MFDs. No issues.
A2) Confirmed. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q3) I'll use a SeaTalk 3-way junction to connect my existing Ray240 into the MFDs using the NG converter kit and spur to an eS for connectivity. Any issues?
A4) The available SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter software does not support DSC position reports to be bridged from SeaTalk to SeaTalkng. This feature would be required if seeking to have the MFD automatically plot the positions included DSC position reports. Should this be desired then the Ray240 should instead be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 Port 1 of either of the MFDs.

Q4) I'll use the same 3-way junction to connect my existing SmartPilot S2G. Any issues?
A4) Confirmed. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q5) I'll add the SA150 GPS antenna directly to an eS. No issue.
A5) As Raymarine does not offer a GPS product having the name SA150, it is assumed that you mean GA150. If so, and as the system will feature two GPS receivers, the Data Master MFD's Data Sources feature will need to be exercised to specify which MFD wil be used as the source of GPS data for the system.

Q6) I'll add a CAM220 directly into an eS. No issue.
A6)Confirmed

Q7) Assuming I can use the E66066 adapter for the existing DSM300's transducer for a direct connection to one of the new eS MFDs does it matter which MFD (the 127 or the 128) it connects to?
A7) See the other post that you created in which I had addressed this subject.

Q8) There's also an existing AIS500 on board. How would that connect?
A8) It is recommended that the AIS500 be interfaced to powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone formed by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how additional spur sockets may be added to a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng backbone.

Q9) there's also an SR100. Looks like another simple STHS connection.
A9) Please note that the system which you will be creating now appears to feature more than four compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interface (i.e. eS127, eS128, SR100, HD radome, IP Camera). For this reason, it is always best to list all devices to be included with the system prior to listing one's questions or presenting issues with the system. By doing so, we can ensure that e correct advice is provided within the initial response. Some of the earlier asked questions within this response are now superseded based upon the addition to the SR100 to the system's equipment list. As the MFDs only one two Ethernet Network communications interfaces, it will be necessary to install a HS5 RayNet Network Switch. Rather than interfacing the IP camera, HD radome, and SR100 to the MFDs, it is instead recommended these devices, as well as the MFDs, instead be interfaced directly the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. The Digital Radar Cable will be interfaced to power and to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch. MFDs will each be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. The IP Camera will be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an assembly constructed from a R32142 RJ45 to RJ45 Waterproof Coupler and an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RJ45 (M) Cable. The SR100 will be interfaced to the HS5 RayNet Network Switch via an assembly constructed from an A80272 RayNet (M) to SeaTalkhs (M) Adapter and an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

Q10) Regarding all of these MFD connections (radome, NG backbone, GPS antenna, IP camera, transducer, etc) do they all need to connect to one "master" MFD where the 2nd is a "slave" or could connections run to each for all of the system data to be shared back and forth? Adding the AIS and/or SR100 will overflow to the second MFD and/or require a switch. What is best?
A10) See the response to Q9 regarding how the devices having an Ethernet communications interface will be networked together. Devices having a NMEA 0183 communications interface may be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 leads of Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input Cable of either MFD. The Data Master MFD will be interfaced as a spur to the aforementioned SeaTalkng backbone.
01-19-17, 09:02 PM
Chuck,

Thank you! This was very helpful, and my apologies for the confusion before in the lengthy multi-part question.

So as it stands now:

1) I'll have the two eS12x MFD's, the CAM220, the HD Color Radome, and the SR100 connected to the HS5 switch. Those 5 devices will effectively consume every port on the HS5 and any future add-ons will require a second switch. Any issue?

2) The Ray240 and the SG2 SmartPilot will connect through a SeaTalk 3-way Junction to the ST to NG converter kit. Any issue?

3) The AIS500 will connect via a spur cable to the ST to NG converter. Any issue?

4) One of the eS12x MFD's will also connect to the ST to NG converter via a spur connection to bridge the two networks. Any issue and/or does it matter which MFD connects via NG?

5) What size fuse is specified for the HS5 switch? The installation document doesn't say.

I've attempted to attach a drawing here. Hope that helps.

Thanks again,
Ryan

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-20-17, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-17 10:25 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
rvaupel23,

Q1) I'll have the two eS12x MFD's, the CAM220, the HD Color Radome, and the SR100 connected to the HS5 switch. Those 5 devices will effectively consume every port on the HS5 and any future add-ons will require a second switch. Any issue?
A1) No. You may either daisy chain the HS5 RayNet Network Switches together using an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable or connect the additional compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interface to any vacant Ethernet Network ports of the MFDs. In the case of the latter, access to a device which has been connected to a MFD's Ethernet port would require that the same MFD be powered ON whenever it is desired to have another within the system access the Ethernet device. This is an important consideration in systems having more than one MFD and the concept of operation may included having one or more or the MFDs switched OFF while using one of the system's MFD. Accordingly, it is considered a best practice to employ HS5 RayNet Switch and interface all compatible devices having an Ethernet communications interface via these network switches.

Q2) The Ray240 and the SG2 SmartPilot will connect through a SeaTalk 3-way Junction to the ST to NG converter kit. Any issue?
A2) See my initial response regarding recommendations for interfacing the Ray240 to the system. As indicated within the reference FAQ addressing interfacing SeaTalk devices, the SeaTalk bus must be disconnected from its present source of power ... this may well be the red SeaTalk terminal of the S2G. I would recommended that the autopilot control head be disconnected from the S2G and instead that it be connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block using an appropriate length of SeaTalk Cable terminated with 3-pin press-fit plugs. Only one of the S2G's SeaTalk ports will be used and it too will be interfaced to the aforementioned D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. Finally, the D244 SeaTalk Junction Block will be joined to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter using the cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit.

Q3) The AIS500 will connect via a spur cable to the ST to NG converter. Any issue?
A3) You will need at least 3 spur sockets within your system's SeaTalkng backbone ... the ST-STng Converter only provides two. See the portion of my prior response addressing how to add additional spur sockets to the SeaTalkng backbone.

Q4) One of the eS12x MFD's will also connect to the ST to NG converter via a spur connection to bridge the two networks. Any issue and/or does it matter which MFD connects via NG?
A4) The MFD which will be designated as the system's Data Master MFD will be interfaced as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone. Should the concept of operation include operating one of the MFDs while the other is switched OFF, then it would be recommended that each MFD be interfaced as a spur the SeaTalkng backbone. Only the SeaTalkng port of the MFD which has been configured as the system's Data Master (HOME->SET-UP->MAINTENANCE->DATA MASTER) will be active.

Q5) What size fuse is specified for the HS5 switch? The installation document doesn't say.
A5) The installation manual for the HS5 RayNet Network Switch may be found here. According to the specifications portion of the installation manual, the power consumption of the switch is < 2.5 W (i.e. < 600 mA @ 12 V). It is correspondingly recommended that the circuit be protected with a 2A fuse.
01-20-17, 08:12 PM
From Q2) I understand the Ray240 is to be wired to the (data master) MFD via the 4 NMEA wires from your previous response, but what does that have to do with the it being connected to the D244, and further how does that impact the S2G and it's connection to the AP control head? I was planning to add the S100 to the other side of the control head. Sorry, you confused me there.

From Q3) Why would I need 4 spurs? I only would have the (data master) MFD and the AIS500 connected. What am I missing?

Thanks again,
Ryan
01-23-17, 10:25 AM (This post was last modified: 01-23-17 10:34 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Ryan,

Q1) From Q2) I understand the Ray240 is to be wired to the (data master) MFD via the 4 NMEA wires from your previous response, but what does that have to do with the it being connected to the D244, and further how does that impact the S2G and it's connection to the AP control head? I was planning to add the S100 to the other side of the control head. Sorry, you confused me there.
A1) The Ray240 will no longer be interfaced to the SeaTalk bus. Its NMEA 0183 leads may be interfaced to the NMEA 0183 leads of either MFD's Power/NMEA 0183/Video Input cable. As indicated, the autopilot control head should be disconnected from th autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port and instead connected to the aforementioned D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. After doing so, then you may indeed daisy chain the S100's Wireless Base Station to the second SeaTalk port of the autopilot Control Head.

Q2) From Q3) Why would I need 4 spurs? I only would have the (data master) MFD and the AIS500 connected. What am I missing?
A2) There was a typo within my prior response ... should have specified 3 spurs. The SeaTalk to Seatalkng Converter features two spur sockets. Of the devices which you have identified, a spur socket will be required to accommodate each of the following:
- Data Master MFD
- SeaTalkng Power Cable
- AIS500
- Repeater MFD (not required, but often interfaced to support using another MFD as the system's Data Master or for system redundancy (would also require either installing a second GA150, or reconnecting the GA150 to the other MFD (should the Data Master MFD be switched OFF or suffer a failure, or interfacing a Raystar 150 GPS Sensor as a spur to the SeaTalkng backbone (this is the most common method of redundancy employed).
01-24-17, 01:26 PM
The number of spur connections needed makes sense now. I was thinking the converter/bus would be powered by the connected AP computer, but if we are connecting the control head instead I now see the need. I also like the idea of providing higher availablity across the system by connecting each of the MFD's. I will use a 5-way NG Block and a backbone cable to connect to the NG converter in question. Will I need to use another power cable for the NG block or will it receive power from the NG converter?

Thanks,
Ryan
01-24-17, 01:47 PM
Ryan,

Q) Will I need to use another power cable for the NG block or will it receive power from the NG converter?
A) No. Should the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter be powered in the manner indicated within my prior response (i.e. via the SeaTalkng Power Cable), then the backbone cable which will be used to join the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector will supply power to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector.
01-24-17, 04:55 PM
Perfect, thank you again.

One last question (perhaps), when connecting the Ray240 to the MFD via the 4 NMEA wires, can I (or should I) use a connecting block and share those 4 leads with the respective connections on both MFD's to accomplish additional redundancy?
01-25-17, 09:16 AM
Ryan,

Q) When connecting the Ray240 to the MFD via the 4 NMEA wires, can I (or should I) use a connecting block and share those 4 leads with the respective connections on both MFD's to accomplish additional redundancy?
A) It is not recommended that you interface the VHF radio to the NMEA 0183 leads of both MFDs unless physical switching has been installed to ensure the radio is only communicating with one of the MFDs at any time.