Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rudder Alignment Test - Dockside Wizard
01-23-17, 12:06 PM
Rudder Alignment Test - Dockside Wizard
My installation is an EV-200 Sail Autopilot pack.
EV-1 sensor core.
P70 control head.
ACU-200
Rotary Rudder Reference Transducer
Type-1 rotary drive

My question: In commissioning the autopilot, running the Dockside Wizard, I see the rudder reference transducer shows an initial reading that does not correspond to the physical wheel / rudder alignment to center; the transducer is reading almost 20 degrees to Port when the wheel / rudder is physically centered. See file attachment *pdf with pictures of the transducer's placement, P70 screens and description. Is there a way to initialize the transducer reading to center before going through the wizard's calibration? Look at the picture of the transducer's placement in relation to the rudder centered quadrant. Have I installed the transducer incorrectly?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-23-17, 01:45 PM
RE: Rudder Alignment Test - Dockside Wizard
Welcome the Raymarine Forum mlpayne9367,

If when centered, the reported rudder angle value is more than seven degrees, then the screws securing the rudder reference transducer should be removed, the transducer's base should then be rotated in a direction which will permit the reported rudder angle to be within seven degrees of the correct value, and then the transducer's screws may be installed to secure the transducer. Small amounts of rudder angle error may be removed via the Rudder Offset configuration setting (MENU->SET-UP->AUTOPILOT CALIBRATION->DRIVE SETTINGS->RUDDER OFFSET).
01-23-17, 02:23 PM
Thank you for the quick response. I will try the suggested action at my next opportunity.
01-23-17, 02:39 PM
You're welcome.
01-27-17, 11:57 AM
I just want to close out this thread (to benefit future readers). The suggestion to rotate the rudder sensor was spot on! THAT WAS EASY ... I centered the wheel / rudder; I disconnected the connector cup / threaded rod from the rudder sensor arm to the quadrant; with the P70 and ACU powered-on, I moved the sensor arm until the P70 read the rudder was centered. This told me what direction and how much to rotate the sensor. Loosened up the 3 screws on the sensor mount, made the adjustment, tightened down and reconnected the cup / threaded rod from the arm to the quadrant. Now the wheel / rudder is physically centered and the P70 is reading centered with zero degrees of variance. Ran the dockside wizard and all is well. Looks like everything works fine.
01-27-17, 12:21 PM
You're welcome.