Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ray 70 Interface with E-120 Classic
02-27-16, 11:24 AM
Ray 70 Interface with E-120 Classic
I have an E-120 classic with s/w version 5.69 and a SeaTalkng buss for an EV-1 and i70. Looking at the Ray 70 manual I notice that it does not state it is compatible with an E-120 classic. I am assuming that is the SeaTalkng that is not compatible. How would I handle any software updates to the Ray 70 if/when required. Or is the incompatibility limited to the AIS portion of the SeaTalkng interface.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-29-16, 09:16 AM
RE: Ray 70 Interface with E-120 Classic
Welcome to the Raymarine Technical Forum Tim,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
08-13-17, 05:17 PM
Since my last post I have added an AIS 650 to my system. It is connected via STng and NMEA0183. STng so my i70 can see the data and the 0183 so my Ray218 can receive GPS data from my E-120 Classic. I noticed from the Ray70 manual that it can receive external GPS data via the STng bus but it does not transmit GPS data it has received via its internal receiver on the STng bus nor via 0183. My plan is to drop the 0183 interface when I add the Ray70 so everything is on the STng (except the RayStar 130 that interfaces via Sea Talk to the E-120 Classic). Since the E-120 Classic will output GPS data onto the STng are there any restrictions on Ray70 having its GPS receiver on and probably receiving RayStar130 derived GPS data and internally derived GPS data. I use my EV-1 ACU to power the bus and it is located about midpoint on the bus.
Thanks in advance
Tim
08-14-17, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 08-14-17 10:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tim,

If shifting over NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000, the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor should also be shifted to the the SeaTalkng backbone. The MFD, as well as any other device which has been interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone (ex. Ray70), will then pick up GPS data from the backbone and will not be dependent upon the MFD being powered ON. The AIS650 will need to remain interfaced to the MFD's NMEA 0183 port to support the MFD's AIS features. Neither the AIS650 nor the Ray70 will bridge data between NMEA 0183 and SeaTalkng.
08-23-17, 01:31 PM
Good points with respect to the NMEA 0183 and the Ray Star interfaces. One final question - with the Ray 70 on the SeaTalkng interface and receiving GPS data (from the Ray Star), would I have to keep the Ray70 internal GPS off or can I leave it on (since the Ray70 internal GPS is probably a little more accurate). Is the Ray 70 smart enough to accept both sources of GPS data and accept the most accurate?
08-23-17, 03:48 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-17 03:50 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tim,

I suspect that there would be little or no difference in the GPS accuracy of a Raystar 130 GPS Sensor and the internal GPS sensor of a Ray70. Depending upon the installation location of the Ray70, it is quite possible that the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor would provide the system with more accurate position given that the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor was designed to be installed in a location affording it an unobstructed view of the skies overhead. With respect to accuracy, most GPS sensing devices will achieve 3m accuracy when installed in a location affording them to receive good GPS satellite signal strength. The Ray70's internal GPS sensor should be configured OFF when interfaced to a SeaTalkng backbone featuring a GPS data source.