Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST60 tridata not sending data
02-21-17, 08:41 AM
ST60 tridata not sending data
Hi, I have an ST60 tridata instrument connected via SeaTalk to several other instruments. The speed, temp transducer is connected directly to the tridata. The tridata shows speed and temp and transmits temp via SeaTalk to the other instruments. But although it shows speed it does not send speed to the other instruments. This is preventing us from having true wind display shown. The system formerly worked properly, sending speed data and calculating true wind. It also accepts data, showing depth which comes from another instrument. Changing cabling did not help. Any ideas why this would happen?

Thanks,
Peter Malloy
S/V Neko
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-17, 04:52 PM
RE: ST60 tridata not sending data
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Peter,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing system requirements for the True Wind data item to be calculated. Is the system interfaced to a source of heading data? If so, please state the make/model of device providing the system with heading data and verify that it is switched ON. Does the system have a device (ex. MFD, ST60 Graphic, etc.) which may be used to repeat data from the SeaTalk bus? If so, have you configured it to display the Heading, App. Wind Direction, App. Wind Speed, and Speed (through water) data items? If so, are these items being populated by the device being used to repeat data from the SeaTalk bus?
02-27-17, 08:26 AM
Hi Chuck, yes, the system is part Seatalk and part Seatalk NG. The heading data comes from the Raymarine fluxgate compass integrated with the SPX30 course computer. The system has several devices to show data from the Seatalk bus - 2 e125's and an ST60 multi, ST60 maxiview and ST60 wind, along with the tridata. The speed and temp data go directly from transducer to the ST60 tridata, which is on the Seatalk bus. Temp data is also shared from the tridata with the other instruments and does appear. Speed data does not pass through the Seatalk bus, although it formerly did. All the devices capable of displaying heading, app wind dir and speed, and speed are configured to show such data, and they formerly did. Now speed and anything derived from speed does not appear. Heading does appear.
02-27-17, 08:49 AM
Peter,

It is recommended that you verify that all devices having a SeaTalkng communications interface have been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software updates. After doing so, it is then recommended that you verify that the ST60 Tridata display has been configured a Master rather than Repeater of Speed data (see the ST60 Tridata Display's Owner's Guide of for details). After performing these two items, then it is recommended that you use the Data Master MFD's Data Sources feature to verify that the that the ST60 Tridata Display has been selected as the Speed data source for the system. Should the problem persist thereafter, then I will require a system integration diagram and Diagnostics...html file from your system. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the topic of providing diagnostic / troubleshooting data for one's system.
03-02-17, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-17 10:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, I've updated the software and confirmed that the tridata is set as a repeater of speed data. My data master is an e127 but I cannot select the speed source through it. It says the STNG converter is preventing data source selection. I do not have a system integration diagram, as it is an older Seatalk system with a newer STng system added and integrated. I have reviewed the diagnostics data post you referenced. Can you tell me which data you need and how to send it to you? Also, is there a way to test if the unit is repeating data directly?
03-02-17, 10:26 AM
SVNeko,

The immediate problem is that the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter has old software installed within it. As the latest a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software update included software update files to update the software within most Raymarine devices which had been interfaced to the system via SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications protocol or Ethernet communications protocol, it is recommended that the latest a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software be downloaded from Raymarine's website and that the software within your MFD, SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter, and any other supported Raymarine devices which have been interfaced to the system via SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications protocol or Ethernet communications protocol be updated with the latest Raymarine product software. After doing so, Data Source selection should be supported.
03-30-17, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 03-30-17 04:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Chuck, I have finally been able to update the software of the various components of our system. Now when I try to select the speed master, the master MFD says that the SPX30 AP is preventing data source selection.
03-31-17, 08:19 AM
SVNeko,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.