Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ray 260 Seatalk ng Connection
02-21-17, 10:49 AM
Ray 260 Seatalk ng Connection
I am installing my new Ray 260 and will be installing it to the new Raymarine Axiom when it is released. According to the Ray 260 Manual, see below, it can be connected to the multifunction display directly via the SeaTalk ng connector. Since the Axiom has an internal GPS and I don't have any other equipment at this time, am I correct that I don't need the SeatTalk ng backbone?

4.9 SeaTalkng connection
The Ray260 can interface with Raymarine GPS receivers and
Raymarine multifunction displays using the SeaTalkng connector.
A Raymarine SeaTalkng GPS receiver cannot be connected
directly to the Base station as GPS receivers are powered via
the SeaTalkng backbone.
Note: If your unit has both SeaTalkng and NMEA 0183
connected then you must select which connection you want
to be active using the DSC Menu > Connection > Interface
menu options. Refer to 6.8 Selecting NMEA 0183 or SeaTalkng
connection for details.
Connecting SeaTalkng
The Ray260 can interface with Raymarine GPS receivers
and Raymarine multifunction displays through the SeaTalkng
connector.
Before connecting
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-17, 03:55 PM
RE: Ray 260 Seatalk ng Connection
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Stan,

Q. I am installing my new Ray 260 and will be installing it to the new Raymarine Axiom when it is released. According to the Ray 260 Manual, see below, it can be connected to the multifunction display directly via the SeaTalk ng connector. Since the Axiom has an internal GPS and I don't have any other equipment at this time, am I correct that I don't need the SeatTalk ng backbone?

A. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
02-23-17, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-17 01:12 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Would I still power both the Ray260 and Axiom separately in addition to the SeaTalkng / NMEA backbone?
02-23-17, 01:16 PM
Stan,

Q: Would I still power both the Ray260 and Axiom separately in addition to the SeaTalkng / NMEA backbone?

A: Yes. The Ray260 and Axiom MFD would each be powered via their respective power cables. The SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone will additionally need to be powered. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
05-15-17, 05:02 AM
What is the benefit of connecting the Ray260 with the Axiom through the backbone?
05-15-17, 08:36 AM
Stan,

The advantage of interfacing a Ray260 via SeaTalkng to a system featuring a Raymarine MFD which features a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface include:
- ability to not only supply the MFD with AIS data (if AIS version of Ray260 installed), but also other compatible devices (ex. i70/i70S MFIDs, ST70 MFID, etc.) with AIS data.
- simple, reliable, plug and play (i.e. no wire splicing) installation
- ability to perform software updates to the Ray260 via the MFD

Outside of the items listed above, the the features supported by the system would be the same whether the Ray260 was interfaced to the system via NMEA 0183 or SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications protocol.
05-15-17, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-17 04:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
How do you determine that the AIS data is being supplied to the Axiom?
05-15-17, 04:08 PM
Stan,

AIS data and configuration settings may be accessed via the command sequence MENU->TARGETS->AIS. Should the Ray260 feature the AIS option, be correctly interfaced to the MFD, and should AIS data be received from nearby vessels, then the displayed AIS tab of the Targets dialog would list data associated with the transmitting AIS vessels in your area.