Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
upgrade from e80 to es127
03-01-17, 10:20 AM
upgrade from e80 to es127
i am replacing my current MFD (E80) with a es127. I have a recent digital radar (2013) and understand it will connect to the new unit via an adapter (#A80247). I have purchased a SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalk ng adapter (#e22158). do I simply plug the cable marked SeaTalk high speed which was in the E80 into the adapter and then use another cable to plug into the es127 from the adapter? Any on-line diagrams you could suggest would help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-17, 11:03 AM
RE: upgrade from e80 to es127
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Pete,

Q1. I have a recent digital radar (2013) and understand it will connect to the new unit via an adapter (#A80247). I have purchased a SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalk ng adapter (#e22158). do I simply plug the cable marked SeaTalk high speed which was in the E80 into the adapter and then use another cable to plug into the es127 from the adapter?
A1. Within the early production years, Digital Radar Cables were terminated with a RJ45 (M) plug and the A80247 RayNet (F) to RJ45 (F) Adapter would indeed be used to adapt such cables to be mated to the Ethernet NETWORK socket of the eS127 MFD. For the last several years, Digital Radar Cables have been terminated with RayNet (F) plug and would correspondingly would need no adaptation to be mated to one of the Ethernet NETWORK sockets of the eS127 MFD.

Alternatively, the SeaTalkhs Cable may simply be unplugged from the E80 MFD's Ethernet (SeaTalkhs) socket. An A80160 SeaTalkhs (F) to RayNet (F) Adapter may then be connected to it to permit the cable assembly to then be mated to one of the Ethernet NETWORK sockets of the eS127 MFD.

Q2. I have purchased a SeaTalk 1 to SeaTalk ng adapter (#e22158). do I simply plug the cable marked SeaTalk high speed which was in the E80 into the adapter and then use another cable to plug into the es127 from the adapter? Any on-line diagrams you could suggest would help.
A2. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will function as a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone to which the MFD will be interfaced using the SeaTalkng Spur Cable included within the package. In a nut shell, one SeaTalkng Termination Plug (supplied) will be inserted into each to the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter's two blue backbone sockets. The aforementioned SeaTalkng Spur Cable will be used to mate the MFD's SeaTalkng socket to one of the white spur sockets of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. The supplied SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable will be used to mate to an unpowered SeaTalk bus (to which any products having a SeaTalk communications interface had been mated) to the yellow SeaTalk socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. Finally, the supplied SeaTalkng Power Cable will be connected to a switched 12VDC power circuit and to the remaining white spur socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.
03-09-17, 09:12 PM
I am attaching a diagram and photos relating to my change over from the 2007 E80 to the new eS127. This information was derived from a phone discussion with a Raymarine tech. I have a few questions:

1. does the A80247 radar adaptor have an input for the ethernet connector on my radar cable ?

2. I currently have a 6 prong plug going into the "seatalk/alarm" input on the E80. What adaptor plug is needed to plug it into the e22158 yellow port?

3. Can I correctly assume the 3 prong (female) 12V power plug will fit the input on the eS127?

Thanks again for any help.

ps - sorry could not load the diagram - perhaps my question can be answered anyway?
03-10-17, 10:10 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-17 10:10 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Pete,

Q1. does the A80247 radar adaptor have an input for the ethernet connector on my radar cable ?
A1. Should the Digital Radar Cable be terminated with a RJ45 (M) plug rather than a RayNet (F) plug, then it may indeed be adapted (with an A80247 RJ45 (F) To RayNet (F) Adapter) to be mated to the Ethernet NETWORK socket of an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD or RayNet Network Switch.

Q2. I currently have a 6 prong plug going into the "seatalk/alarm" input on the E80. What adaptor plug is needed to plug it into the e22158 yellow port?
A2. The SeaTalk/Alarm Cable should be traced to where it has been connected to a SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Box or terminal strip. A SeaTalk cable having a press-fit 3-pin plug on one end and bare leads on the other end would then be connected to the terminal strip or SeaTalk Auxiliary Junction Box. The press-fit 3-pin plug of this cable would then be connected to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block to which the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will also be connected. Should the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable have been spliced to a SeaTalk Cable, then the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Cable supplied with the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter may be similarly spliced in place of the SeaTalk/Alarm Cable. The SeaTalk bus should be disconnected from its present source of power per the FAQ found here.

Q3. Can I correctly assume the 3 prong (female) 12V power plug will fit the input on the eS127?
A3. No. The Power/NMEA 0183/Video input cable supplied with the eS127 will need to replace the E-Series Power Cable. Please refer to the FAQ referenced above for complete instructions addressing how to replace an E-Series Classic MFD with an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD.