Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Voyage Planner where are waypoints, and routes stored on the computer.
03-28-17, 03:10 PM
Voyage Planner where are waypoints, and routes stored on the computer.
Where in the file structure are the Charts, Waypoints and Routes stored. I have put in quite a bit of information in Voyage Planner (830 Waypoints, 7 charts, and 26 routes. I would like to know where the program stores this information so that I can make a backup copy of them. There is no information in Voyage Planner about backing up any of this data.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-28-17, 03:22 PM
RE: Voyage Planner where are waypoints, and routes stored on the computer.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Fred,

Q: Where in the file structure are the Charts, Waypoints and Routes stored. I have put in quite a bit of information in Voyage Planner (830 Waypoints, 7 charts, and 26 routes. I would like to know where the program stores this information so that I can make a backup copy of them. There is no information in Voyage Planner about backing up any of this data.

A: As with most computer software applications, such details are generally not specified, as there is significant potential for customers to wreck their data if they are not quite sure what to do with the folders and files involved. Waypoint and route data can simply be backed up by commanding VP to export this data to a GPS file(s). Navionics chart data can also be re-installed from the respective chart card(s) and NOAA charts can be downloaded/installed again via the VP program itself.

That said, the path is in a folder normally hidden to Windows users unless they purposely select the View Hidden Folders and Files, as per: https://www.fugawi.com/knowledge_base/document/FF12900

With all folders and files ready for the end-user to see, they would go down this folder path:

C:\Users\{Your_Windows_username}\AppData\Roaming\Raymarine

In that folder is a file called voyage.db3 … it is a standard SQL Lite database that any person at all may examine if they have the skill and interest to use a program such as http://sqlitebrowser.org/

At the least, copy that file to an alternative storage place outside that folder, save it to a USB thumb disc if you like, or email it to yourself as a file attachment.

If you happen to see a .db3-archive file, ignore it, not worth copying.

Manipulation of any of these normally hidden files without the expressed direction and guidance of the Voyage Planner software development team is not supported.
03-28-17, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-29-17 07:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the information. I just want to "backup" the file to another drive every so often so that if I make a big mistake I will not have lost all of data.
03-29-17, 07:44 AM
You're welcome.