Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quantum radar data cable length
04-20-17, 08:27 AM
Quantum radar data cable length
We are installing an a series MFD with our new Quantum radar and are using both power and data cables. Is there a simple extension data cable for the 10m data cable supplied that will plug in to the 10m cable, or do we need to purchase a new and longer continuous cable?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-17, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 04-20-17 09:23 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Quantum radar data cable length
Hcfirstlight,

Raymarine does not offer Quantum Data Extension Cables. Should the extension be installed below decks, then a Quantum Data Cable may simply be extended with a RayNet (M) to RayNet (M) Cable Joiner and an appropriate length or RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable. The Quantum Data Cable is primarily applicable to installations where an existing radar cable will be used to supply power to the Quantum Radome. For new Quantum Radome installations where communications will be carried via cable, it is recommended that the Quantum Radome be purchased without a Data cable and that a Digital Radar Cable (single cable supplies power and Ethernet communications) be chased between the radome and the MFD or HS5 RayNet Network Switch. In this way only one cable need be chased to the Quantom Radome. An A80308 Quantum Adapter would then be used to adapt the Digital Radar Cable to be mated to the Quantum Radome's pwoer and Ethernet sockets. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
05-03-17, 02:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-17 03:28 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, thank you for the detailed response which does help. We purchased the Quantum radar, a9x MFD, AIS, etc. at the Defender wharehouse sale in March. Before purchasing the components, we called Ray Marine technical support and were told to remove our cabling for the RL70 units (2) on board. When we purchased the new radar, the sales/technical Raymarine person, Tom, said we should not have removed the tawdry cable. Tom stated that we would now need a se
Arate data cable and power cable, which we purchased with the new unit. I thought that I could make the 10m data cable ripen all the way to the MFD, but, I cannot. I have spent days removing and replacing the new data cable and the new power cable, right up to the electrical distribution panel.

Given where we are now, would you recommend the cable joiner in your response below for the 10m data cable that I have run(the junction will be below decks), coupled with the 5m data cable we just purchased from Defender? Or, purchase a new 20m cable and start over? Many thanks for your advice
05-04-17, 08:11 AM
Hcfirstlight,

Q. Given where we are now, would you recommend the cable joiner in your response below for the 10m data cable that I have run(the junction will be below decks), coupled with the 5m data cable we just purchased from Defender? Or, purchase a new 20m cable and start over? Many thanks for your advice.
A. As may have been advised, should on be replacing a radome or open array radar having an analog video interface (such as yours) and one not desire to chase a new radar cable, then the Quantum radome's power cable may simply be spliced to the power and drain leads within the currently installed radar cable. The power leads at the other end of the currently installed radar cable would then connected to a switched 12 or 24 VDC power circuit. Note that this would address applications where the Quantum radome will interface with the MFD via Wi-Fi. Should a wired communications interfaced be required, then the appropriate Quantum radome and a Digital Radar Cable would be recommended, as the single gable will support power and communications.

In order to provide the best response, please indicate whether this equipment will be installed on a powerboat or sailboat.
05-04-17, 10:31 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-17 10:46 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you, Chuck. Installatîon on a sailboat with a KATO stainless mast on the stern for the radome. This arrangement worked very well for eighteen years.
05-04-17, 10:51 AM
Hcfirstlight,

Given the dedicated mast for the radome and that the junction will be below decks, the previously suggested solution involving a cable joiner will be quite satisfactory.
05-04-17, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-17 01:24 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Many thanks. Not just because it is the answer I am happiest with now in the process, but you very very thorough in your responses to my queries.
05-13-17, 06:14 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-17 09:04 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, just connected our new MFD, Radar, "old" ST instruments and all work perfectly! Now to learn our new systems. Thank you!
05-15-17, 09:06 AM
You're welcome.