Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom Axiom ohhhh Axiom
05-08-17, 08:04 PM
Axiom Axiom ohhhh Axiom
OK...Jumped in with both feet. Axiom 9 x 2 with 3D Transducer etc. Have multiple questions:

1. Radar - Have the Quantum 24 Radar...Is there a way to Hardwire the Radar to the MFD?

2. If I connect a RayTalkNG Cable between the two MFD's, can they share data?

3. The wiring diagram seems to show that the NMEA connector shares power...Only wire showing is the Grounding "Drain" wire. So if my NMEA Backbone is powered, it should provide power to the MFD's, correct?

4. There have been a bunch of posts on here about Navionics Platinum + Have we figured out if the new Axioms will support ALL of the data?

5. AIS - I am using the EM-Track B100 Transceiver...Anyone see any issues with this? I have a dedicated AIS Ant and The B100 comes with the GPS Ant.

6. GPS Will the two MFD's share the data over the NMEA Net for my GPS 150 sensor?

7. Do I need a dedicated Heading sensor for Radar Overlay?

8. If I am using Axiom #2 as a dedicated Chartplotter/Radar Repeater (Axiom #1 is Sonar Dedicated)...Am I wasting a chance to set this up better? COuld I get better resolution and data from a different MFD?

Thanks!

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-10-17, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 05-16-17 10:07 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Axiom Axiom ohhhh Axiom
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Randar,

Q1. Radar - Have the Quantum 24 Radar...Is there a way to Hardwire the Radar to the MFD?
A1. The methods for interfacing a Quantum radome to an Axiom MFD are identical to those for interfacing an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD to a Quantum radome. Those seeking a wired connection to a Quantum Radome must purchase a Quantum Q24C Radome w/Wi-Fi and Ethernet interfaces rather than the Quantum Q24W Radome w/Wi-Fi interface only. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q2. If I connect a RayTalkNG Cable between the two MFD's, can they share data?
A2. In order for the MFDs to share all resources and features, the MFDs must be interfaced to one another via Ethernet. As Axiom MFDs feature only one Ethernet Network communications interface and your are seeking to interface at least three devices (2 MFDs and Quantum radome) via wired Ethernet, a HS5 RayNet Network Switch must be installed onboard. Each MFD and the Quantum radome would then be interfaced to the switch.

Q3. The wiring diagram seems to show that the NMEA connector shares power...Only wire showing is the Grounding "Drain" wire. So if my NMEA Backbone is powered, it should provide power to the MFD's, correct?
A3. No. The Axiom MFDs are neither designed to be powered by a SeaTalkng backone nor to power a SeaTalkng backbone. The MFDs must be powered via the supplied Power/NMEA 2000 Cable. The SeaTalkng backbone will be powered vis a SeaTalkng Power Cable installed within a spur socket positioned at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing marine electronics drain leads.

Q4. There have been a bunch of posts on here about Navionics Platinum + Have we figured out if the new Axioms will support ALL of the data?
A4. The initial release of LightHouse 3 software will not support Freshest Data Update subscription status notifications, Dock-To-Dock Autorouting, Find Nearest, Navionics Plotter Sync via the Navionics Boating app, Tide/Current graphs (current tide height and current direction/speed will be reported), 3D Chart mode, sonar logging, and SonarChart Live features. It is expected that these features will be included within a future LightHouse 3 software update.

Q5. AIS - I am using the EM-Track B100 Transceiver...Anyone see any issues with this? I have a dedicated AIS Ant and The B100 comes with the GPS Ant.
A5. No. As the system will feature more than one source of GPS data, then Data Sources feature will need to be used to specify which GPS data source will be utilized by the Raymarine system.

Q6. GPS Will the two MFD's share the data over the NMEA Net for my GPS 150 sensor?
A6. GPS data (not to be confused with cartography) will be shared via devices which have been interfaced to a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. See the response to Q1 regarding the recommendation that the MFDs be interfaced to one another via Ethernet communications.

Q7. Do I need a dedicated Heading sensor for Radar Overlay?
A7. No. Quantum MFDs are no different from the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFDs with respect to radar overlay requirements. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.

Q8. If I am using Axiom #2 as a dedicated Chartplotter/Radar Repeater (Axiom #1 is Sonar Dedicated)...Am I wasting a chance to set this up better? COuld I get better resolution and data from a different MFD?
A8. No. For maximum flexibility and a level of system redundancy, it is recommended that the MFDs be interfaced via Ethernet communications to permit either MFD to support radar, chartplotter, and fishfinder features.
05-12-17, 11:07 AM (This post was last modified: 05-15-17 09:16 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for all the fantastic info!!!

Okay...Still a tad confused, but getting closer:

Here are my devices and how I currently have them set-up (Not powered yet)

Axiom 9 MFD x 2
#1 is dedicated to Sonar and will be connected to the Transducer
#2 is dedicated Radar/Chartplotter and will be hardwired to the Quantum Radome

EM-Track B100 AIS Transceiver

RS150 GNSS Receiver

Yamaha Command Link+ Interface connected to the NMEA2K net via a yamaha cable

Fuel Flow Sensor

Fuel Level Sensors x 2

I also have a older ICOM VHF which has network capability, likely the older style.

Lastly I have an older A series MFD I will use as a back-up MFD/Chartplotter. It can be stand alone.

Here is my Big remaining questions:

1. What do I get if I add a HS5 RayNet Network Switch? Since I am utilizing a NMEA2K Backbone and most of my devices are connected via that network, do I even need to go to RayNet for anything? All of my devices are NMEA2K compatible.

2. Engine Data. I have the Yamaha NMEA2K Interface (Proprietary) installed already...Do I need the EC100 as well?
05-15-17, 09:28 AM
Randar,

Q1. What do I get if I add a HS5 RayNet Network Switch? Since I am utilizing a NMEA2K Backbone and most of my devices are connected via that network, do I even need to go to RayNet for anything? All of my devices are NMEA2K compatible.
A1. Sharing of cartography, radar, fishfinder, SiriusXM Satellite Weather/Radio, and FLIR 100/200 Series Thermal Camera imagery/control require that each of the system's MFD's be interfaced to one another and to the corresponding sources of such data via Ethernet communications. Should it not be desired to share such features or have the corresponding level of system redundancy which would result, then the MFDs may simply be interfaced to to the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone as you have inferred to support dedicated operation in the manner which you have specified.

Q2. Engine Data. I have the Yamaha NMEA2K Interface (Proprietary) installed already...Do I need the EC100 as well?
A2. No. The ECI-100 would be installed in lieu of a manufacturer's NMEA 2000 Engine Gateway. The advantage of systems featuring an ECI-100 is that it's identify engines feature may be utilized to address situations in which the engines have been incorrectly assigned NMEA 2000 Instance IDs by the manufacturer. In the case of the latter issue, it would be necessary for the owner/installer to contact the engine manufacturer to obtain information concerning and to properly assign NMEA 2000 Instance IDs to the engines (i.e. port most engine = 0; Instance ID increments from port to starboard for each engine)
05-15-17, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 05-15-17 01:17 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Perfect!!!

Thanks for all of your help Chuck. I have another post in Configurations that puts all of those parts together. I think I am getting CLOSE!
05-15-17, 01:18 PM
You're welcome.