Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EV-1 Linearization Problems
03-31-16, 06:25 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-16 10:57 AM by Steve - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: EV-1 Linearization Problems
(03-16-16 07:56 AM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  We'll get this figured out. Let us know the outcome.

OK, folks, I got back the EV1 from being tested and it was fine. The autopilot is now working, however, after I was told to buy the Raymarine backbone seatalk AO6034 and splice it to the Garmin NEMA 2000 backbone cable, matching the colors, I still can't get the two to connect. Please help.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-16, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-01-16 11:02 AM by Steve - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Please provide a system diagram (hand written will work) of the system and how you are connecting the two backbones, Seatalk NG and NMEA 2000 together. If they are not communicating, the issue is most likely due to incorrect wiring, and backbone construction.
04-01-16, 07:55 PM
(04-01-16 10:56 AM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  Please provide a system diagram (hand written will work) of the system and how you are connecting the two backbones, Seatalk NG and NMEA 2000 together. If they are not communicating, the issue is most likely due to incorrect wiring, and backbone construction.

Steve, this subject was discussed by phone not on this forum. The cables I was told to purchase was the Raymarine back bone cable seatalk AO6034 and connect it to a Garmin NEMA 2000 backbone cable matching color for color. After doing this I was to connect the Garmin side to the existing NEMA 2000 and the Raymarine side to the blue 5 gane seatalk and disconnecting the power cable off the white end of the seatalk so not to have two powers at once since the Garmin was providing the power now. When doing this I loose satellites completely on the Garmin and no numbers on the autopilot. I'm hoping for an easy answer. Thanks Mark
04-05-16, 02:30 PM
The easy answer is check the splice. So you are trying to connect the Raymarine Seatalk NG backbone with the Garmin NMEA 2000 backbone. Making sure when doing this, you remove the last terminator in each backbone, making one at the Seatalk NG end and one on the NMEA 2000 end. Then connecting the backbones together color for color, and making sure there is only one power source into the backbone. Which is now one backbone.
04-06-16, 09:19 AM
(04-05-16 02:30 PM)Steve - Raymarine - Moderator Wrote:  The easy answer is check the splice. So you are trying to connect the Raymarine Seatalk NG backbone with the Garmin NMEA 2000 backbone. Making sure when doing this, you remove the last terminator in each backbone, making one at the Seatalk NG end and one on the NMEA 2000 end. Then connecting the backbones together color for color, and making sure there is only one power source into the backbone. Which is now one backbone.

Steve, Thank you for your response. I must apologize because over the weekend I started to check that splice and found a little cut in one wire which was touching the ground. I cut everything apart and started over and soldered each wire and used shrink tubing on each and then used a larger piece to covered both cables together to prevent water intrusion and any way something could touch each other. Tried it out and it worked perfectly. Thank you again for all your help.
04-07-16, 08:31 AM
Thank you very much for the update. Good to hear you are up and running! Let us know if you have any future questions.