Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
X5R communication with chartplotter
05-22-17, 10:17 AM
X5R communication with chartplotter
I am installing a SmartPilot X-5R that I bought new several years ago and was not able to install at the time. I have connected a Lowrance HDS8 chartplotter using the NMEA 0183 connection as I want to use the compass data from the Lowrance. I did not connect the fluxgate compass. When I power both units up, I do not get compass data on the display (it just displays dashes). I connected a LED across the output from the Lowrance and it is sending a signal. Any thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-22-17, 10:50 AM (This post was last modified: 05-25-17 10:44 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: X5R communication with chartplotter
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum dbrown987,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing the difference between heading and course over ground. While the design of the HDS8 features an internal GPS receiver, it does not feature an internal heading sensor. Accordingly, the SPX-5 will need to be interfaced to the fluxgate compass packaged with the Raymarine autopilot.
05-26-17, 09:07 AM (This post was last modified: 05-26-17 09:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck, thanks for the help. You are greatly appreciated. One more question: is it ok to shorten the fluxgate compass cable?
05-26-17, 09:17 AM
dbrown987,

While it is indeed permissible to shorten the cable of a fluxgate compass, it is generally considered to be a best practice to loosely coil the excess cable and secure the coil to a bulkhead. Adhering to this best practice would then permit greater flexibility in relocating the fluxgate compass should its mounting location later be found to be subject the fluxgate compass to excessive magnetic deviation.