Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
5s radar scanner
06-12-17, 12:07 PM
5s radar scanner
Chuck , my 5s scanner radar debug showed ft=0 , ct=74 , ss=7 -26 . could this be a bad cable and if so when doing the test do I check ohms between the pins or from pin to ground ? thanks Jim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-17, 03:00 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-17 03:01 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: 5s radar scanner
Jim,

The radar cable test measures resistance. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Should the radar cable testing not identify any problems with the cable, then it would be recommended that the vessel be connected to shore power, that its batteries be permitted to fully charge, and that while still connected to shore power that the radar then tested. Should the radar not function properly and should it be configured to operate within its default Gain and Tune settings, then it may well indicate a failure within the radar pedestal's circuitry. Unfortunately, Raymarine can no longer provide parts and service for this generation radomes and open array pedestals. However, depending upon the model of display that the pedestal has been interfaced to (please respond accordingly), there may be a possibility to replace the pedestal with a HD or Super HD Open Array Pedestal.
06-12-17, 05:55 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-17 10:58 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck , the display is a E120 so I guess I have many options , but it is a pain to change out the unit . In doing the cable test I read the faq but i'm not sure if you check resistance is it to ground or between the pins listed . Thanks , Jim
06-13-17, 11:02 AM
Jim,

As you have suggested, any of Raymarine's HD Radomes or HD/Super HD Open Array Pedestals may be used with an E-Series Classic MFD which has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update. Quantum Radomes are not compatible with E-Series Classic MFDs. Replacement of the radar pedestal will also require replacement of the currently installed radar cable.

The resistance tests are performed by testing between the pins specified within the previously referenced FAQ.
06-13-17, 09:33 PM (This post was last modified: 06-14-17 09:20 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck , the cable test showed no problem so I guess the pedestal is bad . Still weighing my options on replacement . Thanks for the help , Jim
06-14-17, 09:20 AM
You're welcome.