Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AIS650 Power Measurement
06-25-17, 03:14 PM
AIS650 Power Measurement
Is there a way, possibly thru USB software commands to cause the 650 to transmit so power and swr can be measured
Thanks
Ric
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-26-17, 09:52 AM
RE: AIS650 Power Measurement
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Ric,

The ProAIS2 software supplied with the AIS650 and found on the AIS650's Software Update Web Page may be used to enter static data, perform diagnostics, and to change the state of Silent Mode (Diagnostics tab). The AIS650's mini-USB port may be interfaced to a PC's USB port using a commonly available mini-USB to USB cable. In order to transmit, the AIS650 must:
- must be interfaced to the supplied GPS antenna
- must be interfaced to a VHF antenna having a maximum gain of -3dB
- must be programmed with a MMSI
- the supplied GPS antenna must be located where it will be afforded an unobstructed view of the skies overhead
- the AIS650's GPS receiver must acquire a GPS position FIX using GPS signal from the supplied GPS antenna
07-01-17, 09:19 AM
Chuck
Thanks for the reply
All of the conditions are satisfied
It does transmit, but range seems short
It has GPS position and the antenna has been verified by using the VHF Comm radio.
I wanted to measure the power out with the Bird 43P, but cant catch one.
Was wondering if I could force the transmitter to be keyed with a command from the diagnostics screen
Also if there is a document to decode the Raymarine diagnostics codes,
such as the SWR etc.
Thanks
Ric
07-03-17, 09:59 AM
Ric,

Q1. All of the conditions are satisfied. It does transmit, but range seems short
It has GPS position and the antenna has been verified by using the VHF Comm radio.
A1. Unlike VHF radios, AIS Class B transmitters output only 3W ... a designed restriction created by the governing bodies to limit the range of these transmitters. Range for Class B AIS transceivers is typically less than 5-7nm in open waters ... range may be less in coastal waters where land, structures, etc. may further limit range.

Q2. I wanted to measure the power out with the Bird 43P, but cant catch one.
Was wondering if I could force the transmitter to be keyed with a command from the diagnostics screen
A2. Negative.

A3. Also if there is a document to decode the Raymarine diagnostics codes, such as the SWR etc.
A3. Unfortunately, not. The ProAIS2 software displays VWSR within its Diagnostics tab.
07-03-17, 11:28 AM
Thanks Chuck
07-03-17, 11:44 AM
You're welcome.