Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] SPX computer conecting to Garmin 4212
07-06-17, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-18 12:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] SPX computer conecting to Garmin 4212
My customer has purchased a used power boat that has the spx autopilot as well as the Garmin 4212. They are currently not connected together. I have determined that the Garmin 4212 will put out the following PGNs 129283 Cross track error, 129284 navigation data, and the 129285 route/waypoint info. The question that I have will the spx support these PGN's when I connect the 4212 onto the Seatalkng /NMEA2000 buss?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-17, 12:37 PM
RE: SPX computer conecting to Garmin 4212
george123,

As the SPX autopilots were not designed to be NMEA 2000 certified, it is recommended that third party products be interfaced via NMEA 0183 communications to the SPX autopilots. Should the third party product feature a NMEA 2000 communications interface, but not feature a NMEA 0183 communications interface, then it would be recommended an Actisense NMEA 2000 to NMEA 0183 data bridging device be used for data bridging purposes.
01-20-18, 12:13 PM (This post was last modified: 01-22-18 12:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] SPX computer conecting to Garmin 4212
Chuck- I just noticed this thread. In our new system we have an SPX-10 with a p70 control head, an i70s and an i50 depth. Our chartplotter is a Garmin 741. We also have a Standard Horizon Matrix 2100 VHF with AIS receiver. The Garmin has both NMEA 0183 and NMEA2000 connections. My plan was to connect the Garmin N0183 out to the VHF N0183 in and use the Garmin NMEA2000 to talk to the SPX-10. Will that work? If not, my other option is to connect the Garmin N0183 out to the SPX-10 N0183 in and also to the VHF N0183 in (note although NMEA0183 is single talker multi-listener, Raymarine does not recommend multiple connections to the NMEA0183 in). I could also connect the VHF N0183 in to the SPX-10 N0183 out, but I think the GPS data are not forwarded on that port.
01-22-18, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 01-22-18 12:08 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
tgsail1,

As indicated earlier within my initial response to this thread, it is recommended that third party products be interfaced via NMEA 0183 communications to the SPX autopilots. Please note that it would be necessary for a device to have more than one NMEA 0183 input port or utilize a NMEA 0183 multiplexer for a NMEA 0183 listener to receive data from more than one NMEA 0183 talker ... this is a NMEA 0183 communications restriction ... not a Raymarine restriction. It commonly possible for the NMEA 0183 output of a device to be paralleled to support supplying more than one listener with data from a single NMEA 0183 talker. The NMEA 0183 output of Raymarine products may typically be paralleled to support supplying data to up to three NMEA 0183 listeners without need for a NMEA 0183 expander. It is recommended that the manufacturer of your NMEA 0183 talker be contacted to verify the number NMEA 0183 listeners which may be supplied by your NMEA 0183 talker.

Alternatively, should one have system featuring a NMEA 2000 backbone, then it would be be recommended that the SPX autopilot be interfaced to a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 data bridging device (ex. Actisense NGW-1-ISO) which in turn will be interfaced as a spur to the NMEA 2000 backbone.
01-22-18, 10:17 PM
Thanks for the clarification. One question, if I hook the GPS to the SPX via N0183 AND also connect the GPS to the STNG network, can I connect the SPX to the STNG network directly? I ask because I also have the i70s and p70 on STNG, and the p70 only provides full functionality on the SPX using STNG , and the GPS will only read the i70s data on STNG(NMEA2000).
01-23-18, 10:05 AM
tgsail1,

Q1. if I hook the GPS to the SPX via N0183 AND also connect the GPS to the STNG network, can I connect the SPX to the STNG network directly?
A1. Negative. Doing so will typically result in a data loop.

Q2. I ask because I also have the i70s and p70 on STNG, and the p70 only provides full functionality on the SPX using STNG , and the GPS will only read the i70s data on STNG(NMEA2000).
A2. As Raymarine's autopilot course computers are not designed to be a substitute for a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device and SPX autopilot course computers are not NMEA 2000 certified devices, it is recommended that:
a) you ensure that the SPX autopilot course computer has been updated with the latest available Raymarine product software update
b) that the third party GPS / Chartplotting product be interfaced as spur to the SeaTalkng backbone and then tested to ensure proper communications and to ensure that the autopilot may be commanded into Track mode via the autopilot's control head after having commanded navigation (Go To Waypoint / Cursor Position or Follow Route) from the GPS / Chartplotter.
c) that should the configuration specified in item b) fail to permit the autopilot to be commanded into track mode, that:
- the third party GPS / Chartplotting product be disconnected from the SeaTalkng backbone, and
- a NMEA 0183 to SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 data bridging device such as that which was suggested within my last response be installed between the SeaTalkng / NMEA backbone and the third party GPS / Chartplotting product's NMEA 0183 interface.
01-28-18, 11:44 AM (This post was last modified: 01-29-18 03:39 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck- I tried the unit yesterday. The SPX version is the latest at 3.05, however the p70 version is 1.06. I was able to find the SPX version number by using the Garmin 741 version list. I confirmed that the SPX will not enter track mode unless the N0183 is connected. I believe it would be a good idea to update the p70 firmware. I think it is necessary to remove it and take it to a dealer nearby with access to a Raymarine MFD, correct?

If I disconnect the G741 GPS from the STNG backbone, (and reconnect through a gateway device as recommended), I believe I will lose the ability to interrogate devices on the STNG net from the GPS. The GPS provides a wide range of information beyond the limited set available by N0183 (eg see the last paragraph).

I could set up the p70/SPX on a standalone ST network, but now I'm using the ITC-5/i70s for wind and speed, so I do not believe that is an option anymore, unless perhaps I use a ST/STNG converter to feed ST data to the SPX.
01-29-18, 03:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-30-18 10:02 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
tgsail1,

Per our phone conversation, I believe that your best option at this point may be the following:
- create two powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbones.
---- backbone #1 will feature the autopilot course computer and the p70 autopilot control head (updated with the latest software)
---- backbone #2 will feature a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter (updated with v2.03 software), iTC-5, i70S, i50, and third party MFD
- The SeaTalk port of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will be interfaced to the autopilot course computer's unpowered (move switch to OFF position) SeaTalk port

The system described above should permit the autopilot to be operated in Auto Mode, independently of whether backbone#2 is powered. Additionally, the MFD need not be switched ON to have the autopilot receive wind data when interfaced in this manner. Wind, GPS, navigational data, and other supported data items will be bridged by the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to SeaTalk for use by the autopilot course computer.

It is recommended that this equipment be installed in a temporary fashion and that communications be tested before committing to permanent installation. Should interfacing these products as specified within this post not only permit the autopilot to sail to wind, but to also receive navigational data in support of the autopilot's Track mode feature, then it would be necessary to interface the third party MFD via NMEA 0183 communications alone to the system.
02-14-18, 11:35 PM
tgsail1,

I have been following this thread with some interest. Could you post an update on how things worked out?
02-15-18, 09:55 AM
Noted.