Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Connecting AIS to i70
03-14-16, 07:27 PM
Connecting AIS to i70
Hi -

I am considering adding an AIS transponder that has NMEA 2000 connectivity. I have an i70 installed in close proximity to where I plan to install the transponder. Can I connect the transponder data out directly to the I70 STng port using a DeviceNet cable or do I need to connect the Devicenet cable to a T-piece on the STNG backbone cable? I want to display the AIS data on the i70 and the E90W connected via STNG downstream.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-15-16, 07:39 AM
RE: Connecting AIS to i70
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Clay,

SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 devices are designed to be interfaced as spurs to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone. While up to three Raymarine marine product may be daisy-chained together within a single spur (total length of the spur not to exceed 5m), this is not recommended for third party NMEA 2000 devices. As such, when using third party NMEA 2000 devices, it is recommended that they be installed via individual spurs to the SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone. When installed in this manner both the MFD and i70 will have access to AIS data. Should the system include a source of AIS, GPS, and heading data (not to be confused with GPS COG), then the i70 will be able to display AIS target information when stationary or making way. However, if the system does include a source of heading data, then the i70 will only be able to display AIS target information when making way using GPS COG data.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply