Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
To a67 or not to a67 that is the question.
08-12-17, 10:50 AM
To a67 or not to a67 that is the question.
I have a working network.

Garmin 441s mfd to seatalkng network with converter to all my seatalk1 instruments (ST60+ series). Garmin uses devicenet to stng cable - also outputs DSC gps information to Uniden oceanius radio via nmea0183

I also own a Raymarine a67 - which is fully updated (no wifi) and I have current until 2018 charts. Which I would not mind using.. giving the boat a better mfd and a complete Raymarine look.

Issue of course is that the a67 has no nmea0183 output.

So this is just a posting confirming what I think I already know. That in order to get GPS data to the DSC radio I need to install a 2nd converter bus on the NG backbone.

There is no way to have both the DSC out and the Seatalk out of the one converter.. correct?

James
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-16-17, 03:07 PM (This post was last modified: 08-16-17 03:07 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: To a67 or not to a67 that is the question.
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum James,

Q1. In order to get GPS data to the DSC radio I need to install a 2nd converter bus on the NG backbone. There is no way to have both the DSC out and the Seatalk out of the one converter.. correct?
A1. Correct. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter cannot simultaneously function as a SeaTalk to SeaTalkng data bridge and a SeaTalkng to NMEA 0183 GPS data source. Accordingly, it will be necessary to install a second SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to supply NMEA 0183 GPS data sentences to the VHF radio unless the VHF radio has a NMEA 2000 communications interface.
Find all posts by this user
06-05-18, 01:04 AM
Hello Chuck,

I am just getting this going now. I have everything setup..

I am not getting sentences to the Uniden Oceanus. Attached is the ACC hookup from the radio. The red and the yellow coming from the converter goes to???

(converter) Yellow to Green?? (radio)
(converter) red to ??? (radio)

I cannot seem to get get this figured out as you only refer to the lines at VE+ and VE- and Uniden does not refer to lines like that at all.

James
06-05-18, 10:38 AM
James,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. The instructions call for connecting the red (VE+ / OUT+) lead of the Raymarine cable to the NMEA 0183 IN+ lead of the VHF radio. Additionally, the instructions call for connecting the yellow (VE- / OUT-) lead of the Raymarine cable to the NMEA 0183 IN- lead of the VHF radio. You will need to consult the Uniden VHF radio's instruction manual or contact Uniden Support to verify the colors of the Uniden VHF radio's NMEA 0183 IN+ lead and NMEA 0183 IN- lead.
06-05-18, 10:58 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-18 01:31 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Great, unfortunatly Chuck, I tried that. The guy at Uniden support did not even know what VME+ OR VME- was .. all he could say is that the manual shows GPS DATA IN.. and I dont dont even know if that.. GPS DATA IN is the + or the - IN.. and through Uniden I have no way to know.
06-05-18, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-18 09:54 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
James,

Less technical manuals for products requiring GPS dater will refer to a product's NMEA 0183 IN+ (VE+) lead/terminal as GPS+ or GPS IN+. Similarly these manuals will refer to a product's NMEA 0183 IN- (VE-) lead/terminal as GPS- or GPS IN-. In such cases,
- the red (VE+ / OUT+) lead of the Raymarine cable should be connected to the GPS+ / GPS IN+ lead of the VHF radio; and
- the yellow (VE- / OUT-) lead of the Raymarine cable should be connected to the GPS+ / GPS IN+ lead of the VHF radio.

Unfortunately, I was unable to locate the manual for your Uniden VHF radio online and accordingly cannot specify which colors Uniden has chosen for its GPS IN+ and GPS IN- leads. I suggest that you locate your Uniden VHF radio's instruction manual or contact Uniden Support to determine which colors Uniden has chosen for its GPS IN+ and GPS IN- leads. Should the Uniden support technician not be able to provide this information, then ask them to send you a link to the VHF radio's user's guide. Should you then respond with this link, then I may be able to identify the colors of the Uniden VHF radio's leads to be used.