Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I NEED HELP WITH AN INSTALLATION…
03-21-16, 10:46 AM (This post was last modified: 03-25-16 07:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)

I bought a 2001 sailboat with the following electronics already installed:

ST60+ Tridata connected via ST to a

ST-60 Wind Machine connected via ST to a

ST-6001 Smart Pilot connected to an Autohelm Model 300course computer.

There is also on board a…. Sitex Class B AIS transceiver connected to a Sitex GPS. (the transceiver has a male NEMA 2000 connector on the chasis.)

Standard VHF radio,

The ST-6001 smart pilot head works, but the screen is damaged so I purchased a new P70 autopilot control head to replace it. This unfortunately, I discovered , is not a plug and play situation. The P70 has the newer seatalk ng connectors on the back while the ST6001 has the old flat three prong ones. What do I do about that? How do I hook it up to the model 300 course computer?

The biggest part of this system is a new es128 MFD… I would like to be able to hook up all my existing instrumentation to it.

How do I connect all these different things together? Please, someone give me detailed instructions. A diagram would be very helpful. If things are incompatible with sea talk (maybe the old autopilot computer) is there a way to hook them into the system using NMEA 0183?) I’ve received a lot of conflicting advise from the dealer and others who say they know what they’re talking about. Some say that the P70 will not work with the old computer because it cannot be calibrated...calibrate what? Can I leave the old head in the ST line to accommodate calibration?

Also, the autopilot computer and the MFD both require a direct 12VDC suppiy… can there be more than one source of voltage in a Seatalk system (between Seatalk and Seatalk ng)? I would like to put the MFD on a separatecircuit breaker from the autopilot, but if a system has multiple sources ofpower can either actually be shut off?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-16, 03:59 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-17 04:18 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Seatalk Installation issues...
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Steve,

Unfortunately, supplying custom wiring diagrams is beyond the scope of support with can be offered. Raymarine the installation manuals and Raymarine's Networking web pages provide examples addressing how to install Raymarine products. Additonally, Raymarine Certified Installers are available to install your marine electronics and may be located here.

Please click here to view the FAQ addressing how the SeaTalk devices such as the ST60 and ST60+ Instruments should be interfaced to an a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, the SeaTalk bus should only be powered from a single source, and that should be from the SeaTalkng backbone via the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter.

The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter has neither been designed nor tested for use with autopilot course computer designs introduced prior to the Type 150/400/ST400+/ST5000+ Autopilot Course Computers and instrument display designs introduced prior the ST50+ Instrument Displays. Correspondingly, it is recommended that such autopilot course computers be disconnected from the SeaTalk bus an that they be interfaced via 4800 BAUD NMEA 0183 communications protocol (i.e. MFD NMEA 0183 OUT1+ to autopilot course computer NMEA 0183 IN+; MFD NMEA 0183 OUT1- to autopilot course computer NMEA 0183 IN-). The SeaTalkng to SeaTalk Cable supplied the p60 Autopilot Control Head should be connected to the Control Head's SeaTalkng port and to a D244 SeaTalk Junction Block. The SeaTalk Junction Block may then be interfaced to the SeaTalk port of the autopilot course computer via an appropriate length of SeaTalk cable having press-fit 3-pin plugs on both ends. One of the plugs of this cable will be removed to permit the leads of this cable to be connected to the color coded terminals of the autopilot course computer's SeaTalk port.

The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter identified within the FAQ referenced above forms a small SeaTalkng/NMEA 2000 backbone which will need to be extended to include additional spur sockets to support interfacing other NMEA 2000 devices (i.e. the third party AIS transceiver, etc.). This is accomplished by removing one of the blue SeaTalkng Termination Plugs from the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter and then installing the SeaTalkng Termination Plug within one of the blue backbone sockets of a SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector or SeaTalkng T-Piece. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter would then be joined to the SeaTalkng 5-Way Connector or SeaTalkng T-Piece via an appropriate length of SeaTalkng Backbone Cable.

Should you identify the model of SH VHF radio, then it may be possible specify how it may be interfaced to the new system.

With respect to powering equipment autopilots, MFDs, radar scanners, fishifnder sounder modules, SiriusXM Satellite Weather Receivers, Ethernet Network Switches are designed to be powered using the power cables which they have been packaged with. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing installation of power circuits for Raymarine products.
03-21-16, 11:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-22-16 07:30 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck... This is the clearest information about this that anyone has given me.

Steve
03-22-16, 08:06 AM
You're welcome.
03-23-16, 08:35 AM
One more question... The MFD has comes with a multi cable with 12vdc wires to be connected to the breaker panel in the boat. Since the ST60 instruments are all on the same STng backbone bus with the MFD will those instruments get power from that connection via seatalk or do I need to connect another power wire from the ST to STng converter to the breaker panel? If I connect an NMEA2000 device to that bus will the 12v from the Raymarine gear be a problem? Can there be multiple sources of power in the same backbone line?

Thanks,

Steve
03-23-16, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-17 04:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Steve,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how to power the marine electronics. As indicated within this FAQ, Raymarine's MFDs have neither been designed to be powered by nor have they been designed to supply power to a SeaTalkng backbone.
03-23-16, 10:09 AM (This post was last modified: 03-23-16 10:55 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck...

Could you take a look at the attached diagram and tell me if I have it right?

Thanks,

Steve
03-23-16, 10:56 AM
Steve,

Your diagram appears correct.