Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Axiom/Quantum
10-22-17, 12:28 PM
Axiom/Quantum
I’m contemplating replacing my E80 Classic/radar installation with a pair of Axioms and a Quantum. I’ve reviewed the latest Lighthouse manual for Axiom (v3.2) and also played with some of the hardware at the local dealer (though that was running v3.0 software).

I have some additional questions the dealer couldn’t answer so I went to the Annapolis Powerboat show to talk to the Raymarine folks. Unfortunately they weren’t there — I guess RM only attended the Sailboat show this year.

And so I’m directing my questions here. Thanks for your patience.

I’ve attached drawings of my current network and proposed Axiom-based configuration.

Q1: Axiom units are sold w/o charts or with LSA, NAG, or CSA charts. Are there any difference in the Axiom HW between the offerings? Assuming no, can I buy any of the models and swap in charts from different vendors down the road?

Q2: If purchasing an Axiom with a chart, does the price include any chart upgrades? For example, 1-year of Navionics Freshest Data when buying a NAG configuration?

Q3: Is the NAG option the same card on the 7, 9, and 12 versions? I see the incremental price for adding the NAG option to these units is different ($50 vs. $100 vs. $200)

Q4: With 2 Axiom units, is it correct that only one must be populated with a chart card, and that unit (the Data master) can share the charts just as my E80s can?

Q5: With 2 Axiom units one must be the Data master. In my configuration it will be difficult to reach the SD card slot on the Data master. Can the slot on the slave be used to a) load GPX files to be available on both units, b) load software updates to the Data master, and c) install software for other Raymarine devices such as the Evolution AP and RS130? Or do I need to buy an A80440 for the Data master?

Q6: Has the A80440 been released?

Q7: The two Axiom units in my proposed configuration will possibly be different sizes, used for different purposes. Is it possible to configure their displays independently? (My thought is to create two different ‘user’ profiles, each profile tailored to my needs on a particular Axiom.) Is it then possible for each Axiom to be running a different profile simultaneously?

Q8: I have no need for a finder and intend to continue to use my DT800 (currently available on my STNG network). Using the DT800 for depth info, will the Navionics Sonar Logging & SonarChart Live features be available?

Q9: On the v3.0 units I saw, rudder position seemed to be displayed as a graphic bar and only on certain display pages. Is the rudder position data also available as a numeric value that be used as a data overlay or on a dashboard page?

Q10: I believe v3.2 will give me full control of my Evolution AP. Correct? Will it also allow me to continue to use my S100 remote?

Q11: I believe v3.2 will allow me to perform software updates on all of my Raymarine equipment from the Axioms. Correct? (Note: I do not see an option to download software for the RS130 via an Axiom here: http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=13420 nor for ST converter here: http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=3767 )

Q12: Is the ONLY difference between the Quantum models the presence of support for using a data cable rather then Wifi?

Q13: Can a Wifi-only Quantum be upgraded via Wifi?

Q14: Can I disable the internal GPS receivers and have the Axioms use the existing RS130 instead? Is there any benefit or harm to this approach?

Q15: The Lighthouse manual, in the section on Dashboards says: “You can import custom pages that have been created using approved PC based page creation software. Please refer to Raymarine Product support for more details.” What is this capability? Is it available to end-users?

Q16: Can an Axiom connect to a Quantum via Wifi and simultaneously drive the mobile apps?

Q17: I believe the Quantum is an 18”. Will I loose anything significant compared to my current analog 24” radar (model unknown)?

Q18: When connected via Wifi, must the Quantum be connected to the Data master? Or can it connect to a non-master (if that unit has a better signal path)?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-17, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 10-24-17 02:10 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: Axiom/Quantum
Welcome back to the Raymarine Forum danderer,

Please note that no files were attached to your thread. Please add any pertinent files to any posts with you may later submit.

Q1a. Axiom units are sold w/o charts or with LSA, NAG, or CSA charts. Are there any difference in the Axiom HW between the offerings?
A1a. No.
Q1b. Assuming no, can I buy any of the models and swap in charts from different vendors down the road?
A1b. Yes ... as long as the chart card is a supported Navionics, C-Map, or LightHouse chart card.

Q2. If purchasing an Axiom with a chart, does the price include any chart upgrades? For example, 1-year of Navionics Freshest Data when buying a NAG configuration?
A2. Bundled Navionics chart cards include subscriptions permitting the chart card's contents to be refreshed at no additional cost during the first year of ownership. Bundled C-Map cards permit the chart card to be upgraded C-Map 4D Max at no additional cost. Bundled LightHouse US Charts do not feature free updates.

Q3: Is the NAG option the same card on the 7, 9, and 12 versions? I see the incremental price for adding the NAG option to these units is different ($50 vs. $100 vs. $200)
A3. The Navionics chart card bundled with a 7" Axiom MFD identical included with all other sizes of Axiom MFDs and Axiom Pro MFDs which have been bundled with a Navionics NAG chart card. Similarly, the C-Map Essentials chart card bundled with a 7" Axiom MFD identical included with all other sizes of Axiom MFDs and Axiom Pro MFDs which have been bundled with a C-Map CSA chart card. The same applies to Axiom MFDs and Axiom Pro MFDs bundled with a LightHouse chart card

Q4: With 2 Axiom units, is it correct that only one must be populated with a chart card, and that unit (the Data master) can share the charts just as my E80s can?
A4. Yes.

Q5: With 2 Axiom units one must be the Data master. In my configuration it will be difficult to reach the SD card slot on the Data master. Can the slot on the slave be used to a) load GPX files to be available on both units, b) load software updates to the Data master, and c) install software for other Raymarine devices such as the Evolution AP and RS130?
A5a) yes
A5b) not at this time
A5c) no. Should a MFD need to be used to perform software updates to peripherals on the SeaTalkng backbone, that MFD must both a) be interfaced to the SeaTalkng backbone and must b) be configured as the system's Data Master (only necessary during the duration of the software update).

Q6: Has the A80440 been released?
A6. Yes

Q7a: The two Axiom units in my proposed configuration will possibly be different sizes, used for different purposes. Is it possible to configure their displays independently?
A7a: Yes, if referring to the page being viewed.
Q7b: (My thought is to create two different ‘user’ profiles, each profile tailored to my needs on a particular Axiom.) Is it then possible for each Axiom to be running a different profile simultaneously?
A7b: No

Q8: I have no need for a finder and intend to continue to use my DT800 (currently available on my STNG network). Using the DT800 for depth info, will the Navionics Sonar Logging & SonarChart Live features be available?

Q9: On the v3.0 units I saw, rudder position seemed to be displayed as a graphic bar and only on certain display pages. Is the rudder position data also available as a numeric value that be used as a data overlay or on a dashboard page?
A9: This data item is not presently available within LH3 as it had been in LH2. A feature request will be logged accordingly to consider adding this data item to the list of the Pilot data group.

Q10: I believe v3.2 will give me full control of my Evolution AP. Correct? Will it also allow me to continue to use my S100 remote?
A10. Yes and yes

Q11: I believe v3.2 will allow me to perform software updates on all of my Raymarine equipment from the Axioms. Correct? (Note: I do not see an option to download software for the RS130 via an Axiom here: http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=13420 nor for ST converter here: http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=3767 )
A12: Devices having an Ethernet communications interface may not be updated remotely by MFDs running LH3.2. This feature is expected to be supported within a future LH3 software release. Most devices having a SeaTalkng communications interface may be updated using the corresponding .iso file found on respective product's software update web page. At this time, some of these product software update web pages need to be be updated. Until such time as the website has been fully updated, one may download the a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD v19.03 software update zip file. Within this zip file, you will find the latest .iso files for the devices which are designed to be updated via .iso files.

Q12: Is the ONLY difference between the Quantum models the presence of support for using a data cable rather then Wifi?
A12: Yes. Those seeking the maximum level of redundancy would be advised install the version of Quantum radome which additionally supports use of data cable.

Q13: Can a Wifi-only Quantum be upgraded via Wifi?
A13: Yes.

Q14: Can I disable the internal GPS receivers and have the Axioms use the existing RS130 instead? Is there any benefit or harm to this approach?
A14: Yes. As external GPS sensors will typically be installed where they will have an unobstructed view of the sky, they will typically yield the best GPS performance for a system's GPS data source.

Q15: The Lighthouse manual, in the section on Dashboards says: “You can import custom pages that have been created using approved PC based page creation software. Please refer to Raymarine Product support for more details.” What is this capability? Is it available to end-users?
A15: This information should not have been included within the manual, as the referenced PC software and its details apply only to new vessel construction featuring Empribus or CZone Digital Switching systems and Raymarine Axiom MFDs. In such cases, the OEM will use the referenced tool to produce the custom digital switching pages.

Q16: Can an Axiom connect to a Quantum via Wifi and simultaneously drive the mobile apps?
A16: Yes.

Q17: I believe the Quantum is an 18”. Will I loose anything significant compared to my current analog 24” radar (model unknown)?
A17: While the Quantum radome should provide improved target definition, it will come at a reduction in range when compared to a 4kW radome. Maximum radar performance with a radome would be achieved with the RD424HD.

Q18: When connected via Wifi, must the Quantum be connected to the Data master? Or can it connect to a non-master (if that unit has a better signal path)?
A18: Either one of the two MFDs may be commanded to connect to the Quantum radome.
10-25-17, 03:39 AM
Chuck --

Thank you for the detailed reply. Very helpful.

My apologies for bungling the file attachment. I'll try again to attach them to this response. Should that fail images can be viewed at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zw7o0gu4332in...CG5fa?dl=0

Any updates you can provide on Q8 (DT800 and Navionics Sonar Logging/SonarChart Live) will also be appreciated.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

10-25-17, 08:38 AM (This post was last modified: 10-25-17 08:52 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
danderer,

Q1. My apologies for bungling the file attachment. I'll try again to attach them to this response. Should that fail images can be viewed at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zw7o0gu4332in...CG5fa?dl=0
A1. Your diagram for the system featuring the Axiom MFDs appears to be good. Were I to make one suggestion, it would be to power the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone from a 12V source other than the ACU-200's SeaTalkng port. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing recommended circuits for powering marine electronics.

Q2. Any updates you can provide on Q8 (DT800 and Navionics Sonar Logging/SonarChart Live) will also be appreciated.
A2. Please accept my apology for not answering this question within my initial response. While the sonar logging feature was primarily designed and intended for use with systems which will feature a fishfinder, it will also be supported when using an instrument as a source of depth data as well.
10-25-17, 08:54 AM
Outstanding. Many thanks.
10-25-17, 09:13 AM
You're welcome.