Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Heading Alignment SPX-30
11-15-17, 09:50 AM
Heading Alignment SPX-30
I have problems with the heading alignment changing and varying up to 30 degrees port and starboard with my SPX-30 pilot. The unit will track properly to a way point and follow a course with no issues. However, when in heading mode the vessel will change course as the heading moves. I can watch this happen on the chart plotter. The vessel indication will stay constant and the chart rotates as the vessel changes heading (verified by oil filled compass). When tracking a course or going to a point the orientation of the vessel on the chart plotter screen rotates. All equipment is Raymarine less than 4 years old all communicating via Seatalk-NG. Installed on a sailboat. No messages or errors. Replaced fluxgate compass with no results. I have had the core pack repaired by Raymarine and it worked properly for a few weeks then started doing it again. I replaced the core pack with a new unit and it worked well for about 6 weeks and it has started doing the same thing. Question: Is this a known issue with the SPX-30? What could be causing the same repeated failure?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-15-17, 11:55 AM
RE: Heading Alignment SPX-30
Welcome the Raymarine Forum Taylor7000,

Q1. Is this a known issue with the SPX-30?
A1. No.

A2. The reported issue may be caused be resulting from any of the following:
- autopilot course computer incorrectly mounted ... must be mounted to a vertical bulkhead
- changes within the deviation field sensed by the fluxgate compass ... click here to see the FAQ addressing this subject
- failure of the fluxgate compass ... click here to see the FAQ addressing this subject
- failure within the rudder reference transducer ... click here to see the FAQ addressing this subject
- failure of within the autopilot course computer's circuitry ... should the sensed deviation be less than 9.9 degrees, and the fluxgate not be located near objects generating a strong magnetic field when switched ON, and the fluxgate compass test and rudder reference transducer test not identify any issues with the transducers, then the autopilot course computer should be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply