Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing boat name on AIS
11-30-17, 10:56 AM
Changing boat name on AIS
Hi,
We have purchased a boat and need to get the former name which shows on AIS changed to our new name. I have not been able to find the right link that would show how to do that. Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
Find all posts by this user
11-30-17, 11:23 AM
RE: Changing boat name on AIS
Hi smatson,
Thankyou for your enquiry,

Firstly are you keeping the same MMSI number? Normally when you change boat owner the MMSI needs to be changed too and this is the time then to change the Boat details too.

please see here for information regarding the method to change MMSI.
12-01-17, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-17 07:13 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I read the link. We can't really send the unit as we live on our boat at anchor and are unable to send or receive packages. We do have a cable that came with the unit. Is it possible to use a computer to perform the name change? I don't know anything about MMSI numbers; if it could be kept the same and just change the boat name I think that would be fine with us.

Thanks again
12-04-17, 07:52 AM
Within the US, the FCC prohibits end users lacking FCC certifications from entering or erasing MMSIs within AIS transceivers. MMSI entry / erasure must be performed by a Raymarine Dealer, a Certified Raymarine Installer, or Raymarine's Product Repair Center.
While it is possible for an end user to modify the static data (to include boat name) within an AIS transceiver by using the ProAIS2 software, MMSIs are issued to individuals ... not to the boat. Accordingly, all of the emergency contact information, owner information, etc. logged with BoatUS or the FCC will be that of the AIS transceivers's original owner.
Should an AIS transceiver be transferred to another individual, then the owner must apply for a new MMSI via BoatUS (if the boat will remain in US waters) or the FCC (if the boat will travel outside of US waters). The AIS transceiver's MMSI must then be erased and new MMSI entered via one of the above listed options, no matter how inconvenient it may be.
Thread Closed