Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ST290 Display (E22056)
11-30-17, 11:28 AM
ST290 Display (E22056)
I am in the process of upgrading my old C80 MFD to an eS97 and at the same time building a new Seatalkng backbone. I currently have an ST290 display (E22056) connected to a ST290 DPU. As currently set up, I believe my E22056 displays only speed and temp so I assume I have a P120 bi-ducer which feeds into one or two transducer pods, from the pods the ST290 DPU (via Seatalk2) and then from the DPU into the E22056 display (via Seatalk2).

1. I know the ST290 DPU cannot be retained in the new system. Can the E22056 display be retained in an upgraded Seatalkng system?

2. If not, can you provide assistance upgrading. Is the i50 Tridata (E70060) the best replacement?

3. If i50 Tridata is the replacement, what will I need to do to connect the existing speed/temp transducer to the i50?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-01-17, 11:34 AM
RE: ST290 Display (E22056)
Hi ddfour1,
Thankyou for your post.

Within the ST290 system the DPU was used to create all the calculated data and then the displays merely repeated this.

the best option is to remove the DPU from the new system, create the new system on an STng backbone network and then add data to it via dedicated instruments such as the i50 Tridata and i60 Analogue wind. You will also have GPS data from the new eS97, however you will be missing compass data, unless you connect an Autopilot to the STng network, so will be missing some additional data on the eS97 chart and radar display such as head-up, True motion etc . . .

One possibility is to connect a SeaTalk autopilot through a SeaTalk to STng converter.

The original Depth and Speed transducers used with the ST290 can be used with the i50 Tridata, however, the cables will need to be returned to their original length of 14m, usually they were shortened to 2m to connect to the ST290 pods. Extension cable can be obtained through your local Raymarine dealers.

The connections on the back of the i50 for the transducers are colour coded and you will need 1/8" female spade connectors to connect to the back of the i50 display.

The E22056 can be connected to the Stng network and will operate as a repeater for the data.
12-01-17, 02:14 PM (This post was last modified: 12-01-17 02:30 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Derek, this is very helpful. I am trying to upgrade my system in stages. For the time being I am going to keep the radar system (SL72C and 2D 18" dome) isolated from my MDF since it won't play with the STng backbone. I want to replace the MDF this year along with establishing a STng backbone. And then upgrade the Auto-Pilot next year to an Evolution.

I do have an ST7001 AutoPilot control head. I assume I can connect that to the STng backbone via A22164 to supply compass data? I am still trying to determine the course computer model that I have on board. Will that impact me?

Attached is my proposed schematic. Do you see any issues? The eS97, i50 and STng backbone will be new. The Radar, GPS, VHF and AP are existing equipment.

Thanks in advance.
Dave

Attached File(s)
.jpg  System.jpg (Size: 84.48 KB / Downloads: 540)
12-04-17, 08:22 AM
Upgrading piecemeal is fine as long as you keep aware of what data is available on SeaTalk and what is available on STng, remember that only Navigation data and AIS can be copied through STng, radar, Sonar, cartography etc is sent via RayNet.

A safe rule is to keep your SeaTalk network and your STng network completely separate, then use an E22158 SeaTalk to STng converter to bridge data between the two networks. Note that the A22164 is only a converter cable anabling one style of plug - Seatalk to connect to another style - STng - it does not convert data and should not be used in that way. the ONLY way to convert data between the two networks is the E22158 SeaTalk to Stng converter.

To be honest, it is better to leave the ST7001 on SeaTalk and then convert all the existing SeaTalk to STng in one go through the SeaTalk to STng converter.

The drawing you attached is good, connect 12v power to the backbone, (you have indicated a {power cable?} on the drawing - this is correct actually), The A22164 connection to the converter is good, one point is to disconnect the red wire inthe cable, since you should only have one 12v power source to Stng and in all cases it is better to have 12v direct to STng , since SeaTalk will also be powered from the autopilot course computer - you will end up with two power sources and so cutting teh red (12v) wire in the A22164 will rectify this issue. One final point, why are you using the A06048 to connect to the i50? this is a STng connection, unless you have truncated the drawing and are connecting the STng to the 5 pin SeaTalk 2 from the ST290 at some point??
12-04-17, 11:02 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-17 11:14 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Derek. Updated figure with corrections is attached.

Your Q: One final point, why are you using the A06048 to connect to the i50? this is a STng connection, unless you have truncated the drawing and are connecting the STng to the 5 pin SeaTalk 2 from the ST290 at some point??

A: That is a typo. I initially thought/hoped I could use my ST290 to display speed/temp data directly from the STng network. In view of your comments above I realize I cannot do this. So I will replace the ST290 with a new i50. I just forgot to re-label the cable on my drawing.

Q1: I assume I will also disconnect the 12v power to my VHF and the VHF will get power from the STng network as well, correct? So one single 12v power source for all STng devices. And one 12v power to supply the Seatalk system which consists of the AP control head and course computer.

Q2: I believe my GPS receiver currently plugs into the Seatalk port on my C80. What part or converter do I need to convert that male Seatalk connector to a male STng connector so that it can be plugged into the STng 5 way connector (A06064)?

Thank you.

Attached File(s)
.jpg  Updated.jpg (Size: 79.97 KB / Downloads: 422)
12-04-17, 11:18 AM
Hi,
Updated drawing is good to go.
With regards topower to the vhf, you will still need main power - so leave it connected. The STng network needs its own 12v power and other than supplying power to the instrument displays and GPS antenna, all other peripherals still need their main power, e.g. AIS, Autopilot, MFDs, sonar modules.

If your GPS just plugs into SeaTalk, then just leave it plugged intoSeaTalk and the Converter will pick up that data and transpose it onto STng.
Thanks
12-05-17, 02:42 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-17 04:53 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi Derek,
are you telling me an E22056 (ST290 Data) is able to display data being connected with a spur cable to a Seatalk NG bus without an ST290 DPU?
Have I understood well?
Is it working also with ST290 Graphic?
Thank you very much.
Regards.
12-05-17, 04:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-17 04:57 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Hi,
the ST290 Data display will connect direct to the STng Backbone via a spur cable and will display the basic nav data available within the network, for example Depth, Speed through the water, GPS LAT/ LON etc . .
It will not, however, display any calculated data such as VMG, True wind etc . . . because all calculated date was derived from the DPU.
thanks
12-05-17, 09:52 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-17 11:22 AM by Derek - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Interesting. I was under the impression I had to get rid of my ST290 as part of this upgrade. The only things I need my ST290 to display are sea temp, depth and current speed, I don't need it to present any calculated data.

In view of your comment that the ST290 can connect direct to the STng Backbone via a spur cable and will display the basic nav data available within the network, my preference might be to keep my ST290 since its [censored] pattern in the helm is larger than that of the i50 and its removal and replacement with i50 would leave behind holes.

If I do elect to keep the ST290 display intact and connect it into the STng Backbone via a spur cable, how would I then get my Speed/Temp Biducer data into the system? Currently those signals are fed into a pod and then into the DPU. The DPU would be removed. Would I instead feed the transducer signal into an iTC-5 and from there connect the iTC-5 as part of the STng backbone?

Attached File(s)
.jpg  STng diagram.jpg (Size: 76.43 KB / Downloads: 389)
12-05-17, 11:26 AM
Hi,
To get the biducer data onto the STng network you have two routes,
1- itc-5, connect the Biducer to the itc-5, connect itc-5 to the STng backbone and then you will need an i70 to calibrate the itc-5 to correct the boat speed and add shallow/ deep alarms

2 - i50 Bidata, connect the Biducer to the i50 Bidata - which can then be used to calibrate the Biducer and input alarms etc . . ., connect the i50 to the STng backbone, job Done.
regards