Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Trouble finding replacement for C80 MFD
12-11-17, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 12-12-17 09:56 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Trouble finding replacement for C80 MFD
I am trying to replace my C80 MFD and the eS97 9" was recommended to me as a replacement. Upon closer inspection, it appears that the cutout height for the C80 is larger than the overall height of the eS97 9" and no mounting plate is available. I want to use my existing 600W transducer so the eS97 would be an ideal fit for me. I don't have room for a 12" display.

1) is there a mounting plate option for replacing the C80 with a es97 9" that I am not seeing?

2) Assuming that ship has sailed, is there another Raymarine 9" MFD that: (1) I can use my existing 600W transducer with and (2) will fit the C80 cutout (7.53"H x10.4"W) either out of the box or with an available mounting plate?

Thanks,

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-12-17, 10:02 AM
RE: [CA] Trouble finding replacement for C80 MFD
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Dave,

Q1. is there a mounting plate option for replacing the C80 with a es97 9" that I am not seeing?

A1. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing replacement of a C-Series Classic MFD with an eS-Series MFD. Unfortunately, none of Raymarine's currently manufactured MFDs is designed to exactly fill the cut-out of the C80 and no mounting adapter plate have been introduced for replacing your MFD with an eS-Series MFD, a-Series MFD, or Axiom MFD. Of Raymarine's currently manufactured MFDs, the a9x MFDs and Axiom 9 MFDs are closest in size to the C80.

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing alternatives to mounting Raymarine mounting adapter plates.

Q2. Assuming that ship has sailed, is there another Raymarine 9" MFD that: (1) I can use my existing 600W transducer with and (2) will fit the C80 cutout (7.53"H x10.4"W) either out of the box or with an available mounting plate?
A1. See the response to Q1. Raymarine's a97 MFDs, eS97 MFDs, and Axiom 9 RV MFDs may each be adapted for use with a 600W transducer which had been designed for use with a DSM250/DSM30/DSM300.
12-13-17, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 12-13-17 10:50 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you. Sounds like the Axiom 9RV is my best option. I would suggest that Raymarine offer an adapter plate from the C80 to the Axiom9 given how common the C80 unit was and the fact that it has a cutout larger than the overall dimension of the Axiom 9' unit.

I will have to have a custom dash made. If I want to replace my SL70RC Radar display with a second Axiom 9RV at the same time, is my current 18" dome compatible?

If so, can you confirm that part number to replace my C80 would be E70367-00-NAG (North American charts) and the part number to replace the SL70RC Radar display would be E70366?

Thanks

Dave
12-13-17, 11:01 AM
Dave,

Q1. I would suggest that Raymarine offer an adapter plate from the C80 to the Axiom9 given how common the C80 unit was and the fact that it has a cutout larger than the overall dimension of the Axiom 9' unit.

A1. Noted.

Q2. If I want to replace my SL70RC Radar display with a second Axiom 9RV at the same time, is my current 18" dome compatible?

A2. Negative. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Only one MFD with RV circuitry need be installed onboard. As a cost savings, you may want to consider replacing the SL70RC with an Axiom 9, which will be networked to the Axiom 9 RV.

Q3. If so, can you confirm that part number to replace my C80 would be E70367-00-NAG (North American charts) and the part number to replace the SL70RC Radar display would be E70366?

A3. The E70367-00-NAG would indeed be recommended. However, I would recommend purchasing the E70366-00-LNC, as a LightHouse US Coastal ENC chart card is included for the same price as the E70366. This would provide the system with two different types of cartography and add a degree of redundancy within the system.
12-13-17, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 12-13-17 11:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks.

1. Is the E66066 adapter the correct adapter to use to get fishfinder data into the Axiom9 as it was with the eS97, or is there a different adapter for Axiom9?

2. Surprised to see that the Axiom9 does not have a STng port. What is the adapter cable required to connect the Axiom as a spur on a STng backbone?

3. Can the Axiom be powered by STng or does it need a separate dedicated power source?

4. Are STng backbones on their way out as a networking system? Should I be building some other networking platform as I go about upgrading my 2003 vintage electronics?

Thanks

Dave
12-13-17, 11:48 AM
Dave,

Q1. Is the E66066 adapter the correct adapter to use to get fishfinder data into the Axiom9 as it was with the eS97, or is there a different adapter for Axiom9?

A1. Negative. The A80489 Axiom RV to 7-pin CP370/CP300/DSM30/DSM300 compatible transducers Transducer Adapter would be used to interface a transducer which had been interfaced to a DSM instead to a the Transducer socket of an Axiom RV MFD.

Q2. Surprised to see that the Axiom9 does not have a STng port. What is the adapter cable required to connect the Axiom as a spur on a STng backbone?

A2. The SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface of Axiom MFDs features a DeviceNet (M) socket. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing how the Axiom MFD's DeviceNet (M) socket.

Q3. Can the Axiom be powered by STng or does it need a separate dedicated power source?

A3. Negative. MFDs are designed to be powered via the power cable which is packaged with the product.

Q4. Are STng backbones on their way out as a networking system? Should I be building some other networking platform as I go about upgrading my 2003 vintage electronics?

A4. Negative. Please note that SeaTalkng is simply an extension of the NMEA 2000 communications protocol and can be supported via not only Raymarine's SeaTalkng networking components, but also third party NMEA 2000 networking components.
SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 networking components, as well as SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interfaced will remain available to provide a communications network supporting the communications requirements of products not requiring the communications bandwidth supported by Ethernet communications. While some thoughts may have been given to adopt DeviceNet plugs / sockets for future products having a SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 communications interface, Raymarine appears to be backing away away from these thoughts. This is part due to the tremendous reliability that SeaTalkng networking components have demonstrated over the years as well a providing a single source for the marine electronics and networking components.
12-13-17, 04:47 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-17 09:51 AM by ddfour1.)
Thanks Chuck. Could you take a quick look at my Phase 1 and 2 schematic plans and let me know if you see any issues?

In Phase 3 (not shown) I would be to upgrade the radar to a digital or quantum dome and replace the the SL72C with an Axiom9.

In Phase 4 (not shown) I would get rid of the SeaTalk2 system and integrate it with an i70 or tri-data.

Thanks,

Dave

Attached File(s)
.pdf  Phase 1.pdf (Size: 217.17 KB / Downloads: 294)
.pdf  Phase 2.pdf (Size: 134.58 KB / Downloads: 266)
12-13-17, 05:39 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-17 10:11 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Dave,
Your Phase 1 and Phase 2 diagrams would appear to be correct, depending upon the model of autopilot course computer which is presently installed onboard the vessel. Please respond with this information.
12-18-17, 11:53 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-17 01:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck: In Answer 3 is "E70366-00-LNC" a typo and instead should be E70367-00-LNC which is the RV version?
12-18-17, 01:54 PM
Dave,

The recommendation for E70366-00-LNC would be for the system's second MFD. As the system is designed to share fishfinder sonar resources (as well as all system resources and data) when interfaced via an Ethernet network, only one of the MFDs need have internal fishfinder sonar. Accordingly, purchasing an Axiom 9 MFD without internal sonar circuitry for the system's second MFD will permit the same features to be exercised by both MFDs (whenever both MFDs are switched ON) and save you approximately $300 based on suggested retail pricing.