Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Android Phablets & Tablets for RayControl
01-28-18, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-31-18 03:38 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Android Phablets & Tablets for RayControl
I have been looking at the list of android devices that are supposed to work with RayControl. Most appear old. I am looking at Samsung Galaxy S2 and others but do not find them on the list. The problem is it appears the Phablet has to be purchased before testing to see if RayControl will work on device. Is there some way to update the list of compatible devices or provide more detail to determine if a device will work after it is purchased. Our thoughts are that a Phablet would be a good purchase if it has the following: WIFI, unlocked, G3, G4, GSM, GPS via satellite, takes two SIM cards, USB or mini USB. I once read that the MicroSurface did not work with RayControl. Has that changed?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-31-18, 03:50 PM
RE: [CA] Android Phablets & Tablets for RayControl
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Terry,

As you have suggested the list of mobile devices supported for use with Raymarine's Mobile Apps is in need of an update. That said, a request will be submitted to update this list and to additionally determine whether the Samsung Galaxy S2 may be used with these apps. In short, should one be able to download it from the Google Play Store directly to the device, then it should be compatible with the mobile device. Tablets running the RayControl app will for the most part be able to function as a second station MFD onboard the vessel, while smartphones running the RayRemote app are better suited to simply repeating the MFD's screen image or functioning as a remote control while the MFD's screen image is being repeated to a television screen. As phablets will likely be equated to smartphones it is likely that the RayControl app may not be downloaded from the Google Play Store to a phablet. All communications between the MFD and mobile devices will occur via Wi-Fi exclusively.

The Microsoft Surface is not compatible with Raymarine's Mobile Apps.
02-01-18, 10:19 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-18 08:15 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,
Thank you for your response. If I can find a larger Phablet I want to try the download. If it works I will post.
Terry
02-02-18, 08:16 AM
You're welcome.
05-25-18, 01:22 PM (This post was last modified: 05-26-18 04:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Android Phablets & Tablets for RayControl
Finally found an Ebay supplier willing to test raycontol app download before a purchase.

The Phablet purchased is an XGODY, 8'' HD 4G LTE Phone Android 6.0 16GB Quad Core 2GB RAM Bluetooth WiFi Tablet PC.

The Ebay seller is: DailyDeal 2012 (20102)

After connecting both the e125 and the Phablet to the marina's wifi I was able see and control the MFD with the Phablet. The Phablet works very well but does need a glare reducing screen cover. Now I have to setup a wifi on the boat.
05-26-18, 04:34 PM
RE: [CA11] Android Phablets & Tablets for RayControl
Noted.