Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] NEMA 2000 with ST60 and ST4000+
02-06-18, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-18 04:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] NEMA 2000 with ST60 and ST4000+
I have 2001 ST60 (speed/depth) and ST4000+ (autopilot) and hope to integrate an Axiom 9 MFD, i70 wind package and Simrad VHF/AIS. Can you point me toward a network diagram ? Thanks, Greg
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-06-18, 05:13 PM
RE: [CA] NEMA 2000 with ST60 and ST4000+
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Greg,

Unfortunately, we don't have a diagram specifically addressing this application. With regard to interfacing an Axiom MFD to the ST60 (speed/depth) and ST4000+, Raymarine offers the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter Kit to address doing so. The SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter will form part of a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone. The MFD will be interfaced to one of the spur sockets of the ST-STng Converter. The unpowered SeaTalk bus to which the ST60 (speed/depth) and ST4000+ have been interfaced will in turn be interfaced to the SeaTalk (yellow) socket of the SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter. As the ST4000+ features powered SeaTalk sockets, the SeaTalk cable which is interfacing it to the SeaTalk bus will need to be cut and then only its yellow and shield leads will be spliced back together. Its red leads will not be spliced back together and will be insulated to prevent shorting. The power cable supplied with the ST-STng Converter will be interfaced to a switched 12VDC power circuit. Finally, you will need to add an additional spur socket to accommodate interfacing the remaining NMEA 2000 device. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. Should your NMEA 2000 device feature a DeviceNet (M) plug, then please click here to view a FAQ addressing how it may be interfaced to a spur socket within the backbone.
02-14-18, 03:25 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-18 08:53 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks Chuck, I believe I'm on the right track from your response. I made a drawing working with my local Raymarine Dealer (I hope it will attach). Can you comment or correct please ? As far as power .. I believe I need to power the ST4000+ drive on it's own, remove the red lead from the Seatalk1 bus and supply the Axiom and Seatalkng bus with 12VDC. Would it be appropriate to use the same breaker with separate fuses for the MFD and Seatalkng bus ? 12VDC A and B on the drawing

Regards, Greg

Attached File(s)
.jpg  axiom9-2.jpg (Size: 173.19 KB / Downloads: 950)
02-15-18, 09:45 AM
Greg,

I have the following two comments regarding your diagram:
- the power insertion spur for the SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone should be located at the approximate midpoint of the backbone's LEN load. The power insertion spur shown within your diagram is located at the extreme left end of the backbone.
- the diagram should be annotated to specify that red lead within the SeaTalk cable which is connected to the ST4000+ must be severed to prevent the ST4000+ from supplying power to the SeaTalk bus.
- the diagram should more clarify the MFD to be an Axiom 9 DV MFD (may be directly interfaced to the specified transducer) or Axiom 9 RV MFD (may be adapted to be interfaced to the specified transducer) rather than an Axiom 9 MFD. Additionally, should the vessel engage in blue water operation or operated under conditions which may not be satisfactory for reliable interaction with a touch screen (ex. operating the MFD with a wet screen, or operating under rough, slamming conditions), then it would be recommended that an Axiom Pro MFD or RMK-10 be considered to provide buttons and UniController to better interact with MFD under such conditions.

Regarding powering the ST4000+, the ST4000+ is not designed to be powered by a SeaTalk bus. Instead, it is recommended that the ST4000+ be powered via a dedicated power circuit supplying power to the ST4000+'s power terminals.

Regarding recommendations for marine electronics power circuits, please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. While technically possible to power the MFD and SeaTalkng / NMEA 2000 backbone from the same power circuity (using appropriately rated fuses for the MFD and backbone) the best practice for powering the marine electronics circuits is specified within the referenced FAQ.
02-15-18, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 02-16-18 08:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Chuck,

Thanks much for your advise and corrections. The drawing is just a plan for me to wire from, your points are all well taken.

.. Would it be better/any different for me to insert power to the backbone at one of the 5 way blocks ? One block I planned to place a meter cable away from the ITC-5, the other a meter cable from the MFD/displays. Don't have another midpoint really.

.. I think I will plan to add another 12V circuit for the backbone power also. Thanks for that link

Best, Greg
Greg,
02-16-18, 08:45 AM
Greg,

Q1. Would it be better/any different for me to insert power to the backbone at one of the 5 way blocks ? One block I planned to place a meter cable away from the ITC-5, the other a meter cable from the MFD/displays. Don't have another midpoint really.
A1. When locating the power insertion point, the length of the backbone is not of consideration. Instead, it it the backbone's LEN loading which is of concern. When determining the midpoint of the backbone's LEN load, please refer to the previously referenced FAQ for LEN loading of each device. In a smaller backbone (i.e. the number of devices within the backbone) it is less important the the power insertion point be so located. It is possible to use the spur socket of a T-Piece, 5-Way Connector, iTC-5, or SeaTalk to SeaTalkng Converter to serve as the backbone's power insertion point.
03-07-18, 12:22 PM
RE: [CA] Axiom 9 / NEMA 2000 with ST60 and ST4000+
Just to follow up and document for someone else. My installation went as planned and is wired as you suggested. Power to the backbone is on it's own circuit supplied at the iTC-5. I did have to change the ST60 depth from master to repeater to get it to read. I have yet to mess with the ST4000 plus, but have hopes it's will follow tracks as well as work in wind vane mode. I added a Simrad RS-35 on the backbone to provide AIS to the Axiom and receive Lat//Long for it's DSC feature. One installation note I should have paid more attention to is the size of the cable ends. The SeaTalkng cables are not small, the RayNet cable end(s) are large and not flexible and the CPT-100DVS transducer cable is over and inch. Fishing them through my existing 1" pedestal guard was nearly impossible and took a lot of planning. I'd would upgrade (and the dealer mentioned that) to a larger tube guard if I was to do this again. Thanks again for your help Chuck. Best, Greg
03-07-18, 02:57 PM
You're welcome.