Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] EV-100 questions
02-13-18, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 02-13-18 04:54 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] EV-100 questions
I've followed initial instruction of reading the FAQ and still have questions surrounding the use of an EV-100 Power for my application.

The FAQ states that the Type 0.5 pump is for 50cc-100cc steering rams. This FAQ is dated 2016.
http://forum.raymarine.com/showthread.php?tid=2093

The Raymarine drive unit selection page of the website shows differently. It states that the Type 0.5 pump is for 50cc-150cc steering rams.
http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=579

Which is correct, I'm assuming the product page on the website is more up to date?
What caused the increase in the capability of the Type 0.5 pump?

However, if I go to the cylinder ram size chart, it does not show the Type 0.5 working under any scenario. Is this chart out of date now? Or is the Type 0.5 just too small to actually work well under any outboard hydraulic steering ram scenario?
http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=209

I have a 20' center console with Sea Star hydraulic steering and a 2015 Yamaha F150XB. The ram is a HC5345 which has a 136.6 cc volume. I see previous threads dating years old now that do not recommend the Type 0.5 for a similar capacity ram as mine. Yet now, based on the specs on the site it would be sufficient, I think. I will use the autopilot for long straight runs offshore and for trolling to free up my hands to tend to lines. For what it's worth, I have an eS78, Axiom 9, and Quantum wifi radar all updated to the latest LH3 software and networked together.

I'm looking for some clarity on this. Is the Type 0.5 now sufficient to use for 136.6 cc ram? Or is it going to really struggle? Would I be far better off to step up to the EV-150 package?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-13-18, 04:49 PM
RE: [CA] EV-100 questions
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Andy,

Please see the note within the referenced FAQ. For your application, it would be recommended that an EV150 Power Pilot be used.
02-13-18, 04:57 PM
Thank you for the update there. Shucks. Was hoping the less expensive EV-100 would do, but I guess I'll have to spring for the EV-150 instead.
02-13-18, 05:00 PM
You're welcome.
02-23-18, 06:02 PM
I'm trying to wrap up the installation. My pump is mounted vertically, like on the right hand side of the diagram on page 10 of the manual. On that page it states to use either reservoir port. However, on a subsequent page it appears to state that the bottom reservoir port has to be used, but it's not entirely clear to me.

For connecting my reservoir port to my helm, I can move the solid plug to the bottom port, and connect my hose to the top port only, correct?