Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Axiom Pro Backwards Compatibility
03-07-18, 11:58 AM (This post was last modified: 03-07-18 03:22 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Axiom Pro Backwards Compatibility
I'd like to upgrade my E120W MFD to an Axiom Pro, but I'm concerned it might start a ripple effect by the Axiom not being compatible with the other electronics on my boat, which was built in late 2009. I'm most concerned about the radar and autopilot, but I'd also like to know if anything else would not function properly with the Axiom Pro.

Here is what I have on the boat now:
E120W (to be replaced)
ST70 instruments (3)
ST70 autopilot
Smart Pilot 30X course computer
Fluxgate compass
Rudder position sensor
RD418 4 kW 18" digital radome
Depth transducer - Airmax Smart Tri 20-633-01 IDST800-N2000
Wind instrument E22078 connected to ITC-5
Interface E85001
Sirius Weather SR100
GPS - Raystar 125
AIS650
VHF - Ray55E + Raymic
Seatalk HS High Speed Network
Seatalk - SeatalkNG converter
RF Base
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-07-18, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-18 11:24 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] Axiom Pro Backwards Compatibility
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Tom,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing replacement of an E-Series Widescreen MFD with an Axiom Pro MFD. As indicated within the referenced FAQ, the Sirius Weather SR100 would need to be replaced with a SR150. All other devices listed may be interfaced to or adapted for use with the Axiom Pro MFD.
03-09-18, 10:53 AM
Thanks, that's very helpful. I have two follow up questions:

Is there a complete listing of specific transducer models which will work with the Axiom ProS and Axiom Pro RVS? I found the page with the discussion of Real 3D transducers. The specifications listing for the Axiom Pro is a bit generic when it comes to transducers. I'm trying to decide between the Pro S and Pro RVS. I'm also considering using a in-hull transducer until my next haul out.

Also, since the mounting plate for E120W -> Axiom Pro 12 is not yet available, will I still be able to mount the Axiom Pro 12 in the [censored] left by the E120W in some fashion?

Thanks again,
Tom
03-09-18, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-18 01:57 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Tom,

Q1. Is there a complete listing of specific transducer models which will work with the Axiom ProS and Axiom Pro RVS?
A1. Axiom Pro S MFDs feature a single transducer port permitting them to be interfaced directly to a DownVision Transducer or CPT-S Transducer (also known as an ax8/eSx8/CP100 compatible transducer).

Axiom Pro RVS MFDs feature two transducer ports. One of these ports is designed to be interfaced to a RealVisionâ„¢ 3D Transducer. This same port may instead be adapted for use with a DownVision Transducer or CPT-S Transducer (also known as an ax8/eSx8/CP100 compatible transducer). The second of these ports is designed to be interfaced directly to a CP470/CP570 compatible CHIRP transducer or adapted for use with 50kHz/200kHz transducer which was designed to be directly mated to a CP370, CP300, DSM300, DSM30, or DSM250.

Q2. Also, since the mounting plate for E120W -> Axiom Pro 12 is not yet available, will I still be able to mount the Axiom Pro 12 in the [censored] left by the E120W in some fashion?
A2. Raymarine has recently introduced the A80531 C/E120W to Axiom Pro 12 Adapter Plate.
03-14-18, 03:08 PM
Thanks Chuck. I bought the Axiom Pro RVX 12 and the E120W adapter plate.

The instructions for the adapter plate say to use a marine grade sealant between the adapter plate and the mounting surface. Would you recommend 3M 4200, silicon, or another product? I'm mounting on a smooth, gelcoat covered fiberglass surface.

Thanks,
Tom
03-14-18, 03:16 PM
Tom,

Any of the specified sealants should be quite satisfactory for the job, as it will be installed above the waterline. 3M 4200 should be more than satisfactory for this application.