Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Axiom 7, eS78, VHF, Quantum Setup
03-12-18, 04:09 PM (This post was last modified: 03-14-18 01:52 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Axiom 7, eS78, VHF, Quantum Setup
I currently have an eS78 and Quantum Radar (wifi) setup. With a Westmarine 585 VHF connect to the eS78, by a Raymarine Es7X Series Video In/Nmea0183 Cable, for GPS data.

I will be adding a Axiom 7 (E70365-03-NAG) in the spring. The Axiom will be set as the data master. But I have a couple of question regarding the setup.

1) Do I update the eS78 and Quantum to Lighthouse 3.3 before I connect it to the Axiom? Or do I use the Axiom to update the eS78 & Quantum?

2) If the Axiom is set as the data master will the VHF still received GPS data, over the Raymarine Es7X Series Video In/Nmea0183 Cable, from the eS78?

3) Should the Quantum be moved to the Axioms' Wifi?

4) Will I still be able to use the CPT-100 that is connected to eS78? on both the Axiom and eS78?

5) Should both MFD's Be connected to the NMEA 2000 backbone?

I have attach a diagram.

Thanks

Jack

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-14-18, 02:08 PM
RE: [CA] Axiom 7, eS78, VHF, Quantum Setup
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Jack,

Q1) Do I update the eS78 and Quantum to Lighthouse 3.3 before I connect it to the Axiom? Or do I use the Axiom to update the eS78 & Quantum?
A1) Should the Quantum radome have already been updated with the latest software via the eS78 MFD, then no further software update would be required after having installed an Axiom or Axiom Pro MFD. I generally recommend trying to perform the software update to the eS-Series MFDs via a microSD memory card which is inserted into the eS-Series MFD's memory card reader ... it is recommended that the Axiom MFD not be connected to the system's Ethernet network until the eS78 MFD's software has been updated with LightHouse 3.3.170 software. That said, we have had some customer report problems in updating the software within eS-Series MFDs using this method. In such cases, we have achieved success by updating the system's eS-Series MFDs and gS-Series MFDs via an Axiom or Axiom Pro MFD. When doing so, the Axiom MFD would be designated as the system's Data Master MFD and the microSD memory card containing the LH3.3.170 software update for eS/gS-Series MFDs would be inserted in the memory card reader of the Data Master Axiom or Axiom Pro MFD. Any Data Master alarms reported by the system's eS/gS-Series MFDs should be ignored.

Q2) If the Axiom is set as the data master will the VHF still received GPS data, over the Raymarine Es7X Series Video In/Nmea0183 Cable, from the eS78?
A2. Yes ... as long as the eS78 MFD is switched and is reporting that the system has acquired a GPS position FIX.

Q3) Should the Quantum be moved to the Axioms' Wifi?
A3) I would not recommend doing so unless there was an issue of insufficient Wi-Fi signal strength encountered when using the eS-Series MFD with the Quantum radome.

Q4) Will I still be able to use the CPT-100 that is connected to eS78? on both the Axiom and eS78?
A4) Yes.

Q5) Should both MFD's Be connected to the NMEA 2000 backbone?
A5) While only the Data Master MFD need be connected to the NMEA 2000 backbone, many will elect to interface two or more of the system's MFDs to the NMEA 2000 backbone for reasons of redundancy and desire to shut down some of the system's MFDs, while operating others. The NMEA 2000 port of any MFD within the system will not be operational on any MFD other than the system's Data Master MFD.
03-14-18, 03:11 PM
Chuck

Thank you

Jack
03-14-18, 03:14 PM
You're welcome.