Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Follow Route (Reverse) - Mid-Route
04-03-16, 04:29 PM
Follow Route (Reverse) - Mid-Route
Here is an example of the request... I have a route up the Hudson River with 87 points from NYC to Albany, NY. If I travel 1/2 way up the Hudson following the route and then want to return home, there is no option to click on the route and "Follow from Here" in the reverse direction. Instead, I have to Navigate -> Follow Route in Reverse and then Advance waypoint 43 times! This makes no sense at all to start at the waypoint I am currently located at. There should be an option to "Follow Here in Reverse" to follow a route backwards from within the route itself.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-04-16, 05:16 PM
RE: Follow Route (Reverse) - Mid-Route
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum jeokeefe,

Thanks for the product feedback. The currently available a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software does not support use of the Follow From Here feature in conjunction with waypoints which are common to more than one route. Creation of routes having common waypoints is indeed a valid concept from the standpoint of route maintenance ... should the location of a waypoint need to be changed, then the single change will adjust all routes using this waypoint. Over the years, several others requested that this limitation be removed as it had once been within RayTech computer software. Upon receiving your request, the Raymarine program manager responsible for MFDs has been briefed about this limitation. Your feature request has been logged for consideration to be included within a future a/c/e/eS/gS-Series MFD software update.

Please click here more information concerning product and feature suggestions.
04-04-16, 06:06 PM
I think you misunderstood my issue. I have one 1 route and the waypoints only belong to that 1 route. The route has 87 waypoints. If I follow the route (forward) to from waypoint 1 to waypoint 45 and then want to turn around and follow the route back (backwards) from 45 to 1, there is no way to start the navigation from mid-route backwards. I would have to start the route backwards from Waypoint 87 and advance route 42 times to start my trip from waypoint 45 to travel to waypoint 1.
04-05-16, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 04-05-16 10:12 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
jeokeefe,

Thanks for the feature clarification. Your suggested feature may save several operational steps. A feature request will be logged accordingly.

Unlike some third party products which create a temporary copy of the route and utilize the temporary copy of the route for navigation (i.e. Follow Route), Raymarine products navigate using the original route. As such, a route originally containing the sequence of waypoints wpt1->wpt2->wpt3 will be saved with the sequence wpt3->wpt2->wpt1 when reversed. As such, a route should be inspected for the desired sequence before being commanded to be followed. Should the reverse sequence be desired, then the route editor will need to be commanded to reverse the route's direction. After doing so, it will then be possible position the cursor over a point within the graphically displayed route and then command the route to be followed from the selected point. Should navigation be active (i.e. GoTo Waypoint/Cursor Location or Follow Route), then it will be necessary to command Stop GoTo or Stop Follow prior commanding the MFD to Follow From Here.