Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] RV-100 transducer
04-12-18, 10:16 PM (This post was last modified: 04-13-18 10:27 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] RV-100 transducer
I just purchased a new Riverwild 25' open aluminum sled with a 250 yammie. It's a transom mount, RV-100, down vision, side vision and real vision. I can not get it to continually keep the depth located. I have a Raymarine 12 inch axiom pro. This isn't my first install of a transducer. I've tried all the normal stuff....distance from main motor, opposite side of kicker, not in line with the bottom strakes, up, down, left, right, middle of the transducer perfectly lined up with the bottom of the boat, angled up, tipped down, blah, blah, blah. I've moved it side to side 3 times and have literally left my trailer in the launch and reloaded the boat re-positioned the transducer, launched again, re-positioned, on and on. It's intermittent, I can sometimes track while increasing speed, sometimes not, sometimes track in deep water, other times not so much. I've had someone else run the motor and looked over the transom and can see how the mounting bracket might be putting air bubbles into the system. I'm assuming air is the problem. I've searched several sites with many people having the same problem, with no solution. I talked to someone today who said that they have several transducers, one to do each function. My next idea was to actually fabricate a plate that comes straight/parallel off the bottom of the boat and forms a 'U' shape around the transducer in hopes that the water would continue to go under the boat straight to the transducer without disturbing the water and adding unwanted air into the system. Some have said that it is just something you have to live with with these shallow draft sleds. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-13-18, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-13-18 10:28 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA] RV-100 transducer
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum huckleberry,

Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. High speed, shallow draft vessels can be particularly challenging for transom mounted transducers to receive a flow of water across their face which is not aerated. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As the internal fishfinder circuitry of Axiom DV MFDs, Axiom RV MFDs, and Axiom Pro RVX MFDs can simultaneously support sonar processing from compatible 50kHz/200kHz, it is not uncommon for high speed shallow draft vessels to additionally install a compatible 50kHz/200kHz low profile thru-hull fishfinder transducer or a compatible 50kHz/200kHz in-hull fishfinder transducer (for solid fiberglass hulls only) to support tracking bottom at planing speeds. In the case of Axiom Pro RVX MFDs, compatible and relatively low cost 50kHz/200kHz low profile thru-hull fishfinder transducers (ex. E66013 P319 Low Profile Depth-Only Thru-Hull Fishfinder Transducers) may be adapted (part #A80496) to be mated to the Axiom Pro RVX MFD's 1kW Transducers socket.
04-14-18, 11:33 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-18 08:45 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for your reply. I just want to make sure of what you would do in this situation. Should I just get rid of the RV 100 and replace it with the through hull bronze Rv 200? I talked to a tech guy from Raymarine's web site and he said that I can not run a second transducer at the same time. I thought that it was conflicting with what your reply said about mating another unit to mine. I just want the best possible results of being able to track the bottom at all times. If the best solution is changing the transducer, I will do that. What would you do if this was your boat? Thanks again.
04-16-18, 09:57 AM (This post was last modified: 04-16-18 09:57 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
huckleberry,

It appears that you may have either misunderstood or have been misinformed about the use of a second transducer with an Axiom Pro RVX MFD. The information provided within my prior response and supporting information within the corresponding FAQ found here apply to the problem which you are attempting to resolve. As indicated within my earlier response, the addition of a 50kHz/200kHz transducer to the vessel would typically be recommended to address the ability to track bottom while on plane.

While thru-hull transducers will generally support maximum performance of sonar features, 1) bronze thru-hulls should not be installed on aluminum hulls ... plastic or stainless steel thru-hulls are recommended for use with aluminum hulls; 2) at 25', your vessel is at the lower end of the hull length which would typically be considered for the RV thru-hulls or thru-hulls featuring fairing blocks; and 3) RV through hulls would typically not be recommended for use with trailered boats, due to the potential of damaging the transducer when launching or retrieving the boat.
04-16-18, 09:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-17-18 08:32 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks again for your time,
I now understand about not using the bronze transducer because of electrolysis. I don't see a stainless steel unit and I was told that your rv 300 plastic model is no longer available. I wouldn't have any trailer issues with a thru hull. It seems that my only solution is to do what you were suggesting with the second transducer. What would you say is the problem, is it that the RV 100 is not capable of picking up the bottom at a greater speed? Or is it because of my shallow draft boat introducing to much air into the system?
04-17-18, 08:49 AM
huckleberry,

More correctly stated, the plastic series thru-hull RealVision transducers continues to be developed. Fishfinder transducers and the associated processing circuitry are first and foremost designed to support operation at speeds at which fishing is performed. Ability to hold bottom at greater speeds are dependent upon hull design, depth of draft, proper mounting, hydrodynamic design of the transducer, and the sonar channel chosen (CHIRP conical sonar would have the greatest bottom tracking ability for RealVision transducers operating a higher speeds). Ability of the RV transducer to hold bottom while on plane will vary with each hull's design and type of transducer installed (transom mounted or thru-hull). Typically, thru-hull variants will yield greater performance with respect to tracking bottom at speed. Typically, the deeper that a hull drafts, the greater will be the transducer's ability to hold bottom. As indicated within my previous response and the referenced FAQ, it would be recommended that a relatively low profile 50kHz/200kHz plastic or stainless steel thru-hull transducer be installed to support bottom tracking while at operating a planing speeds. Should this be unsatisfactory for you application, then it would be recommended that the Raymarine dealer from whom you purchased the equipment be contacted for further assistance in providing a solution to tracking bottom at speed.
04-20-18, 02:54 PM
Hello again,
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on the P319 as you suggested. Do you know what degree deadrise the P319 is recommended for. I'm trying to find out if I have an 8 or 10 degree deadrise in my boat. I did not see a plastic tilt version of the P319 which I would need for my aluminum boat. Also, the connecting cable, A80496, is not available yet that I know of. Will I not be able to hook up the P319 to my Axiom Pro RVX until that becomes available? Do you know approximately when the adapter cable will be ready for purchase?

Thanks,
Vince
04-20-18, 03:07 PM
Vince,

The P318 is recommended for hulls having a deadrise of 0-8° in the installation location.

Regarding the adapter, it is recommended contact found here be contacted to determine pricing and availability of the adapter. It would truly surprise me that it is not available.