Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] Es97 touch screen issues
04-18-18, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-18 10:39 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA] Es97 touch screen issues
I have two MFD, one at each helm. Both of them have begun to behave badly. The touch function deteriorates after about 20 minutes to the point that it no longer works. Soon after that, the screen begins to act as if it's being touched all over the screen to the point that it starts to pick menu choices and change autopilot settings, turning the radar off, any random menu selection is being activated while enroute.

I clean the screen from any salt water residues, restart the entire system and the same dance begins again. 20 to 30 minutes later, I am having to same issues. The units are reasonably protected from direct seawater exposure.

My solution is to activate touch lock so the autopilot is not interrupted, but the screen beeps endlessly error messages that the touch lock is activated.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The units are less than a year old.

Thank you in advance for your help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-20-18, 10:38 AM
RE: [CA] Es97 touch screen issues
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum djpowers,

When exposed to very cold temperature and / or rain or spray, touchscreens may detect radome touches, when in fact, the operator is not interacting with the screen of the MFD. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject. As suggested within the referenced FAQ, the when operating MFDs under such conditions, the MFD's Touch Lock feature should be enabled ... which you have indicated that you have done. However, the reported behavior of continuous alarms from the MFDs indicating that the Touch Lock has been enabled should not be expected and has not been previously reported. It is believed that there may be a circuitry problem with the MFDs and when permissible, it would be recommended that the MFDs be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be bench checked / serviced.
04-22-18, 11:54 AM (This post was last modified: 04-24-18 08:26 AM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I am in the BVI with the boat for the next two months. Sending the MFD to Raymarine presents significant issues for me as we are using them daily from island to island. Is there a Raymarine tech on Tortola that you would recommend? I have two MFD's so I can theoretically survive with only one at a time. Both of them are behaving badly.

Curiously, how do the new Axiom screens handle this issue? It appears they are only touch.

Thanks for your help in advance?
04-24-18, 08:31 AM
djpowers,

While the Raymarine dealers in the islands may support removal of the MFD from the vessel and re-installation of the repaired MFD, they will likely need to send the MFD(s) to Raymarine's Product Repair Center to be serviced.

Raymarine offers both Axiom and Axiom Pro MFDs. Like the e-Series MFDs and eS-Series MFDs which preceded them, the Axiom Pro MFDs feature HybridTouch technology and are currently MFD of choice for those who will be operating the vessel under the conditions described within the previously referenced FAQ.
04-24-18, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 04-24-18 12:36 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thanks for the reply. I have contacted Cay Electronics and assumed that the units would need to be returned to Raymarine. All that I can ask is that the process be efficient, the MFD is a vital piece of equipment and I cannot afford to be without it for an extended period.
04-24-18, 12:37 PM
djpowers,

Should one have time constraints, it is recommended that such time constraints be included within accompanying paperwork sent to Raymarine.