Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[CA] [CA11] Dragonfly 5DVS - recommended settings - tailwater/river
07-18-18, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 07-18-18 01:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
[CA11] Dragonfly 5DVS - recommended settings - tailwater/river
Hi, I've had a Dragonfly 5 DVS for about 2 years now and I'm still struggling to find the best settings for the environment I predominately fish. Hoping that someone can point me in the right direction.

I mostly fish the tailwater of a very large river system here in the midwest and it is a very unique environment. It is a mostly limestone bottom with far ranging depth from extremely shallow to pockets of 30'+. The challenge is with the swift current and air bubbles causing a lot of distortion, noise and often times incorrect depth readings on the sonar. I've messed around and messed around between auto and manual configurations but have never found the sweet spot.

Any guidance? Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-18-18, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 07-18-18 01:35 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
RE: [CA11] Dragonfly 5DVS - recommended settings - tailwater/river
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum kentucky_slim,

Clear imaging from DownVision sonar imaging products is dependent upon maintaining constant heading while passing underwater structures or submerged objects while operating at trolling speeds. Heading and/or speed alterations while passing while passing underwater structures or submerged objects will adversely affect DownVision sonar imaging. Water turbidity will also affect sonar imaging and may appear as noise within the water column. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience operating in such waters nor am I aware of any configuration settings which may improve imaging within such water. I would invite other members of the Forum to provide experience based guidance / recommendations for your sonar application.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply