04-26-16, 07:50 AM
MFD connection help
System is as follows:
ES128 chirp DV connected
RD418HD
DSM300
Ray star 130 ext
Icom m412 connected for dsc

Having some issues with screen in MFD flickering intermittently. Not losing data, it picks up right where it left off but the screen flickers and goes out. It has been reconnected to another power source directly to main ground buss from house battery and power from house batt switch. Same issue.

Also the Raaystar isn't powering up nor showing up as connected.

It was installed by a Raymarine tech but something is up. Can you tell me how this should all be connected and tied together to work so I can double check all connections? Where these should all be going in the unit etc?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-26-16, 02:00 PM
RE: MFD connection help
Welcome to the Raymarine Forum Bill,

Please note that the MFD neither supplies power to nor controls powering of SeaTalkng devices such as the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor. The MFD and Raystar 130 GPS Sensor should each be interfaced as a spur to a powered and properly terminated SeaTalkng backbone. Should the equipment have been recently installed by a Certified Raymarine Installer, then it is recommended that the installer be contacted to seek information concerning how to switch power ON for the SeaTalkng backbone supplying power to the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor.

Regarding the flickering problem reported, it is recommended that if purchased within the last 30 days, that the MFD be replaced by the dealer. If purchased more than 30 days ago, it is recommended that the MFD be sent to Raymarine’s Product Repair Center to be serviced.
04-26-16, 02:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-16 12:05 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
I sent the unit back in once already with a video of the screen flickering. It was sent back saying they could not duplicate the issue and found nothing wrong. They updated the software and returned it.
I wanted to check the way things were connected to see maybe if that was causing it. It was installed in September.
04-27-16, 12:20 PM
rltrbill,

I have previously addressed how the MFD would be interfaced the Raystar 130 GPS Sensor. The VHF radio would typically be interface to the MFD's Port 1 NMEA 0183 input/output leads. The Digital Radar Cable's RayNet plug would be connected to one of the MFD's Ethernet (RayNet) Network sockets and the DSM would be connected to the MFD's remaining Ethernet (RayNet) Network socket via a cable assemble constructed from a SeaTalkHS (M) to RayNet (M) Adapter an appropriate length of RayNet (F) to RayNet (F) Cable.

It highly unlikely that incorrect interfacing the specified items to on another would be responsible for the reported issue. The most common causes for the symptom are low power (verify by measuring the voltage supplied to the MFD at its power cable when the system is fully loaded), ac ripple and other noise within the power system (recommend testing after having switched off inverters, generators, chargers, etc. to let the system run off the electronics battery alone; alternatively connect the MFD's power cable to a 12/24VDC power supply rated for at least 5A), product failure (contact the Repair Center to request a call tag to return the MFD ... as it was previously in for servicing the reported issue.

Again, should the equipment have been recently installed by a Certified Raymarine Installer within the last year, then it is recommended that the installer be contacted to address the reported issue, as the first year of a qualified certified installation carries includes onboard servicing of the equipment.
04-28-16, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 04-28-16 12:19 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Thank you for the outline.... I did purchase the seatalk starter kit to hook up the GPS sensor correctly. My last question (hopefully) is on the power cable(A06049) supplying the 5way connector with power has a red (+), a black(-) and a multistrand wire in the sheathing. Where does the multi strand wire connect to? Does that connect to the ground as well?

Thanks again for your help-
04-28-16, 12:29 PM
rltrbill,

The SeaTalkng Power Cable's drain/shield lead is intended to be interfaced to the vessel's bonding system. Please click here to view a FAQ addressing this subject.
05-12-16, 09:02 AM (This post was last modified: 05-12-16 02:03 PM by Chuck - Raymarine - Moderator.)
Just an update- I did send the MFD back. The tech could not get it to duplicate the "flicker" issue(once again). However, they replaced the unit because of the unicontroller issue. The replacement unit has been installed (by just plugging into the existing cables into back of unit) and the flickering issue seems to have been resolved.
05-12-16, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the update.